Mercedes GL SUV-opinions?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by lee_44106, Jan 1, 2007.

1. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I'm in the market for a large capacity SUV, for the wife to haul the family around. I'm in a location that does see snow, but car is mostly for street/highway driving. NO chance of off-roading unless she slides into a ditch.

Priorities are safety, safety, and reliability, in that order. I don't care about "flash"

I test drove the GL recently. It looks small on the outside, being billed as a 7-adult seat capacity. It's not as small on the inside, but not as roomy as I imagined. Salesman told me it's made in the Alabama plant; this makes me weary as there is the well-publicized problems with the ML class when it first came out.

-So, any first-hand experience with the GL?
    -Any other SUV's you can recommend that I look into?

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I would actually recommend against a SUV if you won't be going off road. Not that they are good off-road, most modern ones, but the inherently bad handling and compromises make them a real liability in snow/ice. Concentrate on a estate/staton wagon with all wheel drive, like an Audi with quattro, a SUbaru Legacy/Outback, an awd BMW wagon et.c. Much safer in snow and ice on normal roads.

3. briancl

briancl Senior member

I would actually recommend against a SUV if you won't be going off road. Not that they are good off-road, most modern ones, but the inherently bad handling and compromises make them a real liability in snow/ice. Concentrate on a estate/staton wagon with all wheel drive, like an Audi with quattro, a SUbaru Legacy/Outback, an awd BMW wagon et.c. Much safer in snow and ice on normal roads.

My girlfriend went from a Land Rover Discovery to an Audi wagon. She needs a lot of room for hauling things around for work, and the wagon still has plenty of space.

4. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

The reason for looking primarily at an SUV is that they are, in general, much heavier in size than the average wagon-type AWD vehicles.

I really don't care about gas mileage. As far as I'm concerned, the bigger car wins in a crash.

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Then get a hummer ;p

6. briancl

briancl Senior member

The reason for looking primarily at an SUV is that they are, in general, much heavier in size than the average wagon-type AWD vehicles.

I really don't care about gas mileage. As far as I'm concerned, the bigger car wins in a crash.

Bigger car also cannot maneuver as well as smaller car to avoid the crash. Bigger car also cannot stop as quickly as smaller car to avoid crash.

7. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

then get the Escalade with the 22's.

8. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

I highly considered, and even had one on hold, a GL450. Seems like a great truck. Very nice driving, great interior and exterior, and also much more affordable than people think.

I ended up getting a Cayenne because I wanted something sportier and I didn't need all the size.

A great truck I once owned was the Lexus GX470. I highly recommend it if you don't mind that they may change the body in a year or two.

9. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Wins is very relative. COntrolled deformation and airbags make a huge difference, which is why just making something larger and heavier does not mean it is automatically safer. From a mechanical, physics and material science perspective, that is a fallacy.

10. Dormouse

Dormouse Senior member

Why not consider a Range Rover Sport?

Akin to the opinions of those dreaded soccer-moms. Quite a silly reason to choose an SUV over a more economical solution.

11. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

12. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

consider a volvo.

+1

13. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

This sort of thinking has ruined personal transportation.

Get thee to the nearest Canyonero dealership.

14. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

This sort of thinking has ruined personal transportation.

Get thee to the nearest Canyonero dealership.

Excellent!

15. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

I don't know about the new GL SUV, but the old Geländewagen would be far more of a proper off-road vehicle. It's a Hummer without the bling effect.

Edit: And the G-wagen will "win" most crashes.