• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercedes E63 AMG

blofeld

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with this beast? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2008 with less than 20K miles on it, but am worried a bit about reliability and potentially astronomical repair costs. Any thoughts / experiences with this particular car or other AMGs for that matter?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great cars but be sure to do due diligence. If it's not a CPO, then a pre-purchase inspection and a review of its maintenance history is a must, especially if the original warranty has expired.

By the way, my experience is not with an AMG but an MB V12 which also has the potential for problems.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had an SLK55 AMG. Costs are pretty out of control but you have to expect that. No reliability problems and the thing was a beast.

EMY

Reaction score
A family member has an E55 and has not mentioned any major mechanical problems. The thing is a beast.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my ceo has one but i have no advice beyond it's a sick car

Originally Posted by blofeld
Anybody have any experience with this beast? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a 2008 with less than 20K miles on it, but am worried a bit about reliability and potentially astronomical repair costs. Any thoughts / experiences with this particular car or other AMGs for that matter?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) The 63 AMG engine is known to consume oil. This is said to be "normal". I used two quarts my first 9000 miles and I keep 1-2 quarts of Mobil 1 in the trunk.

2) I had a loose parktronic light repaired under warranty.

3) There is some rattle when I go over bumps now that I'm running my winter rim/tire set but I can't figure out the source. I don't think it is the pano roof (which is a know source of rattle). Otherwise trouble free x 1 year.

4) The AMG board on MBWorld.org is quite active. You should search there if you haven't already. If you have a friend with a private lounge account, you can check there too. They have a number of give aways in the private lounge. Last year I got tickets to the AMG event at the NY auto show.

5) Conventional wisdom on the AMG boards is to buy the extended limited warranty. Repairs outside warranty are expensive. There is some talk about getting the Chrysler warranty on the AMG boards but YMMV. I'd get the MB warranty instead.

6) Theoretically the 63 engine should be more reliable than the 55 engine because there are fewer moving parts and less stress on normally aspirated engine. I don't think the engine has been out long enough to really know.

7) IIRC there were kinks in the '07 which were ironed out in the '08 model.

As to the driving experience:
1) 0 to illegal comes quickly but with aplomb.
2) It is easy to hit limits of traction.

turboman808

Reaction score
Drove the 2010 and it was pretty good. I thought it was alot cheaper then it is. Rather get the Jaguar XFR.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The AMG 63's are far better cars than the Jag R's.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My brother has had two AMG 63s (a C and an M) - they have been reliable for the short periods of time he's had them, but the amount of gas they drink is shocking. Buy a gas can for the trunk.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to buy the E63 and the Mrs dug her heels in so I ended up with the S550
frown.gif
Absolutely, the E63 is a beast... and yes, sucks gas... but how could you not expect that from a 6.2 litre displacement? The cost of an '08 E63 with <20K miles and CPO was roughly $50K in the Boston area. Rear seating area is smaller but not prohibitive.. unlike the CLS550. No shakes, rattles or rolls when I test drove one. 0-60 is insane and good for on-ramp merging
devil.gif
Mechanics at my local dealer say the engine is a workhorse and rock solid. Where they get you is on the A&B services and the cost of the brake service. Their words "don't think of buying one of these without CPO/extended warranty" and expect to pay top dollar for regular maint. I still wish I had gotten one.. although I say that now with minimal snow on the ground
blush.gif

blofeld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
5) Conventional wisdom on the AMG boards is to buy the extended limited warranty. Repairs outside warranty are expensive. There is some talk about getting the Chrysler warranty on the AMG boards but YMMV. I'd get the MB warranty instead.

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Their words "don't think of buying one of these without CPO/extended warranty" and expect to pay top dollar for regular maint.

awesome feedback, thanks gents. I'm still working on the wife. Luckily, she is completely ignorant of what that 6.3 badge on the side panel indicates, so it's so far, so good...we'll see

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blofeld
awesome feedback, thanks gents. I'm still working on the wife. Luckily, she is completely ignorant of what that 6.3 badge on the side panel indicates, so it's so far, so good...we'll see
lol.. just don't let her ride along for the test drive. That's what killed the deal for me.. I went up an onramp onto the interstate (I-93 for those keeping score) and my wife said "Oh, hell no..."
frown.gif

blofeld

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
lol.. just don't let her ride along for the test drive. That's what killed the deal for me.. I went up an onramp onto the interstate (I93 for those keeping score) and my wife said "Oh, hell no..."
frown.gif

I already drove it once with out her. that engine note
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best friend's dad owned the SL55 and now the SL63 (which I think has the same engine as the E63). His reasoning to the Mrs?: Well...it's way more comfortable than the Carerra 4S and it's an automatic. They're still happily married.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed Dan Neil's excellent review of the CL63, especially his description of its acceleration:

Route all that churn through Mercedes's seven-speed, multiclutch transmission and out to the rear 20-inch wheels and heroic Michelin baloneys, and you've got acceleration. But it's not just acceleration. To line this car up on an empty highway and roll on the throttle is to experience a unique, Newtonian effervescence, a momentary microgravity when the 4,800-pound dreadnaught around you disappears and you float in a kind of parabolic apogee of pleasure. Your breath shallows"”not least because your breastbone is trying to climb into the back seat"”your eyes widen, your brain starts to gurgle endorphins, and if you had any problems (overly large car payments, perhaps?) they are suddenly quite remote.

This is the multiplexed joy of a conjugal visit in a high-speed elevator, of being fired from a Roman catapult into a mattress of cocaine, of pulling your ripcord to find a winning lottery ticket attached to it. I don't know. It's crazy. This car is crystalline, pharmaceutical-grade acceleration, an amour-fou of bliss and leverage. Suddenly, all of existence is reduced to simple clarity: F=MA.

It's a hell of lot of fun. Not to mention the sound of the thing, like a very large, prehistoric hummingbird.
Olympian Acceleration, Commodified

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads