• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercedes Diesel versus a Lexus ES330 or 350

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I want to get another and different car, but I'll be driving this one a bit more than usual.

I was thinking of a Lexus ES 330 primarily. Maybe 20 to @27K for a 2006-2009 nice low mileage vehicle and then buy an extended warranty.

But my partner has a 2007 Mercedes E320 CDI Diesel. He bought it 2 yrs ago with 77K and paid about 21K for it. And he raves about it.

He says I should definitely go for a used late model Mercedes Diesel. Maybe a Blue Tec or 350 series, or whatever it is called.

I have other vehicles, and this would be a fun car and sometimes a DD and used a lot.

Anyone have actual experience with Mercedes Diesels or Lexus 330s or 350s?

And what are your recommendations?

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not trying to be a smartass, but none of those cars would come even close to the typical definition of a 'fun' car

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

not trying to be a smartass, but none of those cars would come even close to the typical definition of a 'fun' car

I am much older than you.

And to me, the vintage and muscle cars are fun cars.

Not trying to be a smartass either but just explain.

When I am in NJ, I will take pictures of my cousin and my cars. They are stored up there and he does not drive them. An example is the 289 Shelby Cobra ( AC and not the Ford body ) w 5,700 miles and everything original down to the salesman's card and Hallibrand Mags. Also a 1973 Pantera. It is a POS, but has less than 5,000 miles.

My friend owned one of the largest car collections in the world and he drove Chevy Suburbans!!!

http://www.styleforum.net/t/148203/old-duesenbergs-old-mercedes-old-friends-and-another-day

Sadly he drove one of his Suburbans into a tree and died!!!!!

God, he is missed like Craig Cullinan.

Back to cars. Anyone have experience with later model Mercedes Diesels, or Lexus 330s?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vintage and muscle cars are fun cars, yes. But the Lexus ES and MB diesel are neither vintage or muscle. What are you looking for in a "fun" car? Goes fast? Handles well? Top comes off? Turns people's heads when you cruise down the street?

Knowing these details would help people make recommendations that work for you.

Btw I test drove both cars a few months ago (but the MB gas, not diesel). They are comfortable and luxurious. Add 'reliable' and 'good customer service' to the description of the Lexus. But I would go through half of Webster's dictionary going through words for these cars before I came to the word "fun". My humble opinion, but it comes from a bit of experience.

Last edited:

Cedric

Reaction score
Both great cars, Lexus super reliable, Toyota Maintenance , will keep its value in the long run
Mercedes, not sure of its reliability, but havent heard a bad thing about Bluetecs, and as all diesels, they keep their values.
Test drive them both and make a decision.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

With MB, I would only buy a late model diesel.

But, they are proving very hard to find at the right price ( I am frugal LOL )

If I cant find the MB diesel soon I will get an ES 330 which are very easy to pick up.

Also, I agree with the fun car statements but it is a matter of perspective. I have driven AC Cobras, classic Mercedes and Duesenbergs, and muscle cars like a 1970 426 Dodge Hemicuda ( not all of which I owned ).

Maybe a different car would be a more apt description than a fun car!

Last edited:

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still don't see your perceived similarities between a 7 litre vintage muscle car and an executive snoozer, but I presume you are actually interested in the latter.

Hyundai Genesis sedan 5L. black

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I still don't see your perceived similarities between a 7 litre vintage muscle car and an executive snoozer, but I presume you are actually interested in the latter.
Hyundai Genesis sedan 5L. black

Yes, I have seen this car and it looks great as well as a real value. Might be an option, since I an just looking for a different car rather than a Fun Car.

I never said the above cars I mentioned are similar, just that I have driven them.

I have also driven in a 1912 MB built for the King of Belgium. I did not do the driving nor was it mine, but I drove in it. Now that was a fun car of a sort.

BTW: I edited FUN out of my first post and changed it to a DIFFERENT car,

Last edited:

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

I want to get another and different car, but I'll be driving this one a bit more than usual.
I was thinking of a Lexus ES 330 primarily. Maybe 20 to @27K for a 2006-2009 nice low mileage vehicle and then buy an extended warranty.
But my partner has a 2007 Mercedes E320 CDI Diesel. He bought it 2 yrs ago with 77K and paid about 21K for it. And he raves about it.
He says I should definitely go for a used late model Mercedes Diesel. Maybe a Blue Tec or 350 series, or whatever it is called.
I have other vehicles, and this would be a fun car and sometimes a DD and used a lot.
Anyone have actual experience with Mercedes Diesels or Lexus 330s or 350s?
And what are your recommendations?

I have an ES 330 and love it. About time to upgrade but it has been a solid car and totally troublefree. Good dealer experience as per usual with Lexus.

The car is very well built from engine to paint quality.

Cedric

Reaction score
POST pics of duesenbergs u drove asap!
I used to live in Indiana, cant believe i never went to Duesy Museum in Auburn IN.

Last edited:

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Back to cars. Anyone have experience with later model Mercedes Diesels, or Lexus 330s?

my parents bought me a used Mercedes 190D as first car because they thought it is a robust and safe one, so I didn't have to waste too much money on repairs. It still had enough power to have fun with other kids who were given Golfs and other "sportive" cars, whose parents paid everything until even today. And the engine was just about to get retracted at 200.000 kilometers ..

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

POST pics of duesenbergs u drove asap!
I used to live in Indiana, cant believe i never went to Duesy Museum in Auburn IN.

Use the search function for Duesenberg

Like this: http://www.styleforum.net/t/148203/old-duesenbergs-old-mercedes-old-friends-and-another-day

The Duesenbergs belonged to John O'Quinn and he had 35 or 38, I don't remember. It was the largest Duesenberg collection in the world.

Back to me. I bought a certified pre owned Lexus ES350 with every option they have.Good enough for a few years and it will keep me under the radar. I have driven it for a week and everything seems fine.

I would have bought a late model MB Diesel if I could have found one, but now I am glad that I bought the Lexus.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have an ES 330 and love it. About time to upgrade but it has been a solid car and totally troublefree.

You sticking with the same model, or looking to wander about?

monib

Reaction score
in mercedice and lexus i recmend you lexus becouse it is 20% better than mercides

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You sticking with the same model, or looking to wander about?

I considered a 430 but went with a 350 because I did not need the room or 8 cylinder. Now a big timer like AF might need a Maybach but I'm happy with the 350 series.

in mercedice and lexus i recmend you lexus becouse it is 20% better than mercides 

Well thanks, you could be right.

I did have an E class Mercedes, an E320 and I feel the Lexus is about 21.8675% better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads