• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercedes CLS 500

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you think of the Mercedes CLS 500?

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/merc...70/photos.html

I've always thought it's incredible eye-candy -- sexy yet strong and sporty, though I think there's a pretty significant part of the population who think it's too 'out there' and looks as if the roof were chopped. I spent this afternoon driving one around -- from highways to twisty back roads, and almost all of it on roads that were wet. I was impressed with the stability and power and even more impressed with its roadholding ability. Must as I tried, the car's tires would not slip -- whether in hard braking, going around corners or (most noticeably) flooring it from a standstill. My BMW has fat tires all around -- Michelin Pilots -- yet it is nowhere near as confidence inspring as the CLS was in the wet. From a standstill with hard acceleration, my car usually will go right into traction control mode and mild wheelspin. The CLS just roared forward. It was as if the road were dry. Perhaps it's not so much the Mercedes as it was the new technology in the CLS (compared to my 1998 model) and the extra-fat tires it has.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that car only looks good in AMG trim in a darker color. I remember seeing one in a darker red at the LA auto show, and it was stunning. The non-AMG suspension puts the car up too high for the rest of its shape to look good --- like an armadillo on platforms.

--Andre

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love it, was in one at a dealer awhile ago. I still don't like the downgrade in interior and general finishing in Mercedes products since the early 90's but the car is stunning. Especially in a darker colour with AMG goodies.

A.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, slightly redesigned for 2007! looks a little more aggressive. very nice!

-Jeff

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mercedes interiors are becomming more and more dissapointing. My parents were Mercedes people until about 4 years ago and have switched to BMW models. Saw a CLS 500 on the way to school and for that level of Mercedes, the interior was not so impressive. The design is beautiful, but I'm tall and get phantom leg and back pains just looking at it.

bachbeet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the best looking sports sedans I've seen in a long time. I usually prefer coupes (the cl 55 amg for example) but this is great.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why can't BMW design cars like this?!?
plain.gif

Facking Bangle!

vc2000

Reaction score
I know this car is about style but I found headroom to be lacking and the backseat to be dark with smallish windows. If I am going to drive a sedan I want the backseat to be functional. I think I will hold for the next model of the Lexus LS. I'll admit the 500 looks cool though.

lawandorder360

Reaction score
The back seat does feel a little constricting to ride in, with the small windows and the high beltline. However, I would take one of these over an E-Class any day. Make it the CLS63 AMG
wink.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i saw an 06 model yesterday. beautiful indeed! i hope mercedes can bring back their old glory.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads