• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mentors

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to be a manatee, but we can't always get what we want.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
mentos11.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
"Official" mentoring seems pretty lame and weird and forced to me. I have had people I would describe to others as having mentored me to some extent or another, but to actively employ the term to a relationship, or to explicity seek such a relationship out, strikes me as very odd and overly loaded.
Same here, couldn't agree more.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I never went seeking a mentor. A mentor relationship developed because they were interested in me and what I was doing while I was eager to gain from their experience. But most of all, they said, was the fact that I actually listened to their advice and acted on it. That is what kept them interested and wanting to invest their time in me.

I have very little ego when it comes to ideas. If someone has a better plan then I will gladly follow it. But I could also imagine that someone with a big ego might not be able accept that and a potential mentor would simply walk away.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Why has it been brilliant? Can you give us some examples/descriptions?

I work in a very creative field, have for 25 years... where business practices, goal-setting etc aren't my industry's real strength. I asked a few friends, basically, "who do you know is good at X-Y-Z and can you introduce me."

My mentor is in High-end personal banking/asset management for one of the biggies.
He's very good at seeing things from many different sides, probing, asking questions but ultimately looking at everything from the standpoint of "anything can be accomplished" entrepreneurs.

It's like sitting down with a major corporate CEO and shooting the ****. I can take anything to him, bounce iedas, etc all in a very private, away from work, discussion with complete confidentiality.

We're also similar personalities in terms of likes and dislikes etc.

It's often the best hour of my month. (all unpaid FYI)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads