• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Menswear on Women

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is a ton of variation. Even on Savile Row, there's the Conduit Cut.

I'd say the "mean" in this case is a regular department store suit that takes elements of the drape and the sack. Lauren by Ralph Lauren or something.

It's hard to quantify the "deviation," but those YSL's that were posted were way off the chart. Bell bottom pants, pagoda shoulders.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There is a ton of variation. Even on Savile Row, there's the Conduit Cut.

I'd say the "mean" in this case is a regular department store suit that takes elements of the drape and the sack. Lauren by Ralph Lauren or something.

It's hard to quantify the "deviation," but those YSL's that were posted were way off the chart. Bell bottom pants, pagoda shoulders.

It's not an easy position to defend, but I think I like Tommy Nutter's extreme suits better than Lauren by Ralph Lauren.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let's not forget that bell bottom pants were very much in vogue in both menswear and womenswear in the 1970s, and that large shoulders were popular in menswear in the 1980s and early 1990s and even appear nowadays in some garments.

It's not an easy position to defend, but I think I like Tommy Nutter's extreme suits better than Lauren by Ralph Lauren.

Well, at least Nutter's were good quality and well cut and well made.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I was referencing YSL in my last post, but quality aside, I'd definitely prefer a Lauren by RL to a 70s era Nutter.

Take the RL to get the waist nipped and just hope for the best :)

6a00e54ff26e0888340153915e4bb2970b-320wi

Ringo%20Star%20Wearing%20Edward%20sexton%20suit%20from%20Nutters.jpg

1062568_fpx.tif

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure from this picture he's capable of doing a more conservative cut. But again, far closer to the mean than some of what's been posted in this thread:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Mrs. Vanda Fine Clothing (@gshen let me know if I should take this down; it was on your tumblr)

Side note: also discovered gshen's wedding suit is made of the same fabric as the suit I am using for my (not quite wedding, just a Stateside celebration of nuptials, which occurred this time last year) ceremony.

Last edited:

Kylerton

Reaction score
Posted this in CM as well (not sure where to be posting these 'fits)

But this is how I perceive Menswear on Women to look like, not all the frills / peacocking:

Back of Vest (okay, a little peacocking)

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this thread is getting confusing and people are off topic. Women wearing a feminine, clearly made for women business suit isn't what this is about to me-- it's menswear-inspired style that challenges conceptions of "this is for men, that's for ladies". This topic and pix are faaaaar more relevant than hirsch's lady purchases in which no one has any interest on this forum.

Last edited:

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally think that kind of lining is garish/tacky and it's strikingly so for me, though I personally like the look otherwise. I like waistcoats worn casually or outside of suits or suit-like ensembles, but I think SF generally dislikes it.

What do you think of neckties (more of them, anyway) as opposed to bowties. I presume you have a preference for the latter,

coldsalmon

Reaction score
I think women in conservative business dress would be very odd. conservative business dress is, after all, conservative business dress and is built around the premise of outfits most appropriate for business. That women dressing like Manton don't have a place in that ideal is less a fault of conservative business dress than it is of the standard business environment. I think this is perhaps why women in menswear is going to begin at "Styleforum standard" (at least two patterns, pocket square) and move up from there in terms of flamboyance. It needs to be clear that the woman is dressing as such as a preference rather than for business, otherwise, it adds discordance at a new level.

This kind of got passed over, but I have always thought it strange that women don't wear the same conservative business dress uniform as men. It seems to me that there is a huge untapped market of professional women who want to dress just as well as their male counterparts, many of whom are wearing MTM and bespoke suits, but there is nobody providing that service for women (except for Kylerton, who is about to take over the world). I wear a suit and tie because I am a lawyer and lawyers wear suits and ties. I also have a short haircut for the same reason. I wonder how close a woman can get to male conservative business dress without looking costumey. I'd like to see an example of a woman wearing full conservative business dress well, but I can't think of any right now.

On a different but related note, here's a prototypical Hollywood example of the competent female professional: Rosalind Russell with CG in "His Girl Friday."

No tie, but of course, there are often two large obstacles preventing a woman's tie from draping correctly.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I also have a short haircut for the same reason.

Have you considered growing it out? I've read that -- like granny knots, ink jetted silks, and lupus -- short haircuts can be terribly unattractive.

RY4N

Reaction score
Can the term peacocking properly apply to women? I mean the term comes from the fact that the peacock is colourful and the peahen, not so much, the reverse of what is considered the norm in modern western society.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Posted this in CM as well (not sure where to be posting these 'fits) But this is how I perceive Menswear on Women to look like, not all the frills / peacocking:
Back of Vest (okay, a little peacocking)
This isn't p'cockish, but it definitely leans toward the SWD conception of tailored clothing. Not a bad thing, but not "classic" as most here would understand it. (Sorry to use the "c" word, Tira. I know how it pains you.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads