Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Menswear on Women

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 18, 2014.

1. Atgemis

Atgemis Senior member

More of a feminine approach from esther quek today

[​IMG]

2. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

B&Tailor does menswear for women. I saw one last time I was there, full suit. I don't think it was the same as below

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2014

4. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

After a several week hiatus I must say that I am pleased to return to see this thread started and the wonderful input thus far. A concern I feel that needs attention (and forgive me if this has already been mentioned) is how to address the chest. I understand that, for example, pre-operative Transgendered Males may use a binder to flatten or at least smooth out the chest region. This would be vital to a better jacket fit. The typically narrower shoulders can be fleshed out easily enough with a decent cut. I would recommend a slightly relaxed fit as opposed to an overtly tailored look, unless that is what is specifically desired. Shirts, ties, belts and hats are easy enough to do. The last issue to tackle would be the shoes. Women with small feet may find it challenging to find their size in mens shoes. Suggestions for manufacturers? The larger footed woman (sizes 10 and up) can easily transition to mens shoe sizing, although they will have to get accustomed to the heavier construction and feel of well made mens shoes. For general purposes, (excluding pagentry), a woman or Trans male may also want to explore a muted colour palette to masculinize their overall appearance. Sorry for driveling on...sleep deprived.... I just had another thought; how to handle hairstyling for longer haired females? or does it even matter? There is certainly a wide road for Androgyny to allow for personal expression so it may not be an issue overall.

Welcome to Styleforum Kylerton and to all female and Trans Male guests and members.

Last edited: May 24, 2014

5. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Wasn't the Colonel taxedermied, stuffed and mounted and placed on public display? or was it Roy Rogers' horse Trigger? I get these things mixed up.

Last edited: May 24, 2014

6. Claghorn

Courtesy of @TTO

[​IMG]

7. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

The girls from Tie brand Jupe by Jackie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

I find that long, flowing, beautiful hair looks out of place in these photos (to my eye). I think this is a big part of Kylerton pulling off the look.

9. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Just so we don't lose track of the relevant history, this is from a 1907 Arrow Shirt ad.

[​IMG]

Cut off all the heads and the only clue that the second image from the left is a woman would be its smaller body size.

Arrow was a quite well-known and very mainstream U.S. company back then, by the way.

Cheers,

Ac

10. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I thought this was the hallmark of CM discussions regarding women's clothing/women as evidenced by every time someone wanders over into the SW&D "how would you like a girl to dress" thread.

Anyway, this thread is better than I had expected it to turn out.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014

11. Claghorn

Well, I would point out that "How would you like a girl to dress" sort of suggests that we should use sexual attraction as a meter for outfits. Outside of that, I never think of how I would like a girl, or a guy, to dress when I see someone on the street. Even on SF, I never think "gosh, I wish that upr_crust fellow would wear more pin stripes." That's clearly not the direction the thread takes (thank god), but I think the mistake is fairly understandable given the thread title.

And for what its worth, I often find the outfits in that thread more attractive than the "outfits" in the various female appreciation threads in DT.

12. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I know a few women/dfab individuals, and while they tend to wear slightly smaller shoes, I found that aside from that there's absolutely nothing stopping them from wearing men's shoes so it's hardly a problem. While they're harder to find if the shoes are discontinued, and very hard if you want 2nd hands, it doesn't seem to be a huge problem.

I'm quite interested in ideas in a more masculine/androgynous appearance as that's what my partner is looking for, but I guess this is not something most posters here have experience with. We're going to see of a db suit and peak lapels would help build up the shoulders, or just draw more attention to the smaller frame.

Indeed.

13. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

A few more old Arrow ads, a couple of which are germane to my remarks upthread about the convergence of men’s and women’s equestrian apparel, a convergence not uncommon in other outdoor sports, too, as witness the second ad, from 1921.

Cheers,

Ac

from 1913:

[​IMG]

from 1921; note the interesting masculinizing of the woman (short hair, reduced bustline, and, um, shotgun ...):

[​IMG]

note collar and tie:

[​IMG]

note the hat:

[​IMG]

14. 89826

89826 Senior member

What about shots of women in men's boxers? That's the look.

15. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

bump for a good thread