1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mensa

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tsloop, Jun 28, 2005.

1. tsloop

tsloop Senior member

I just joined mensa and I was wondering if anyone else here was a member or knew anything about it?

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

You joined Mensa without knowing anything about it? Try www.mensa.org. You may not fall into this category, but the only time I ever hear Mensa mentioned is when someone wants other people to think he is smart.

3. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

4. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Now isnt that Ironic?

5. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Congrats on getting in - I have an aunt who's a member. She's a little odd - but I'm not sure that's because of MENSA.

How was the test? I've always been tempted to take it and have been told that I would probably pass. I've just never gotten around to it.

Bradford

6. TheRookie

TheRookie Senior member

You don't have to take the Mensa test to become a member. You can qualify with a bunch of other tests (LSAT, etc.). For example, a 163 on the LSAT qualifies you.

7. tsloop

tsloop Senior member

I'm not really dumb so I didn't just go join without reading about it, I've read about it and know what the website says, I was more curious about if anyone had personal knowledge about the meetings, interest groups, etc. I was also wondering what, if anything, people had heard about it.

I decided to take the test to join after hearing my friends say "I know you're smart but theres no way you are smart enough to join mensa." I just had to try to prove them wrong.

8. tsloop

tsloop Senior member

I tend to overthink things and so as I was taking the test I thought that either it was incredibly easy, or I was going to fail it miserably because it was filled with trick questions. Most of the questions were really simple, but I'm not sure what percentage you have to get right to pass.

9. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Funny Story -

Shortly before I started dating Jill she went out once (ONCE) with a guy who talked down to her and explained that he was in Mensa so she might not understand...

Jill asked him how he scored on the test, took it, beat him by 10 and politely informed him that it was time for her to find someone with an intellect equal to hers.

(She later decided to scrap that plan in favor of finding someone funny with great hair)

10. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

The first rule of Mensa is that you don't talk about Mensa.

Boo-yeah.

p.s. this thread is hilarious.

11. PHV

PHV Senior member

Wow, can I touch you?

12. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Ha ha, good one, ha ha.

I always laugh when I think about Mensa. At least in the Shriner's you get a fez.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Is it like the Vienna Circle?

14. dusty

dusty Senior member

Mensa has always struck me as the sort of organization you join just so you can tell people you're a member. I guess it would be alright if there were actually functions you attended, but otherwise I don't see the point. I had a class last quarter with this guy who used to constantly throw into conversation that he was a member of Mensa. One time he even got his membership card out during class. I don't want to be part of any organization that would have that guy as a member.

15. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Apparently Mensa clubs do hold parties and mixers for their members. I can't even imagine how gruesome that would be.

16. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Plus you get discounts on car insurance...

17. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I think that it comes down to this - I have a group of friends who used to all be infantrymen, about 20 years ago. we get together, we talk about kids, work, popular culture, current events, etc., we hardly ever talk about the military.

I have a group of friends (some overlapping with the previsous) that are all pretty smart - lawyers, doctors, engineers, and a few business people. we all get together and talk about kids, work, popular culture, current events, we never talk about how smart we each are.

I have a friend who power lifts with me. we get together to fish, we never talk about weights and power lifting, we talk about kids, work, popular culture, current events.

I think that it would be a little boring to get together with a group of people and talk about how smart you are, and talk about puzzles and riddles and so on.

that said - congradulations on getting in.

18. j

j Senior member Admin

MENSA is actually a secret government program that allows people who think they are smart to preselect for the mind controlled assassin program run by the agencies with no name. I hear when you make it 5 years, you get your own silent black helicopter.

19. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Not trying to be meaner than those who have posted already, but I would have thought twice about leaving my journal exposed.

20. tsloop

tsloop Senior member

(dusty @ June 29 2005,04:15) I guess it would be alright if there were actually functions you attended, but otherwise I don't see the point.
    Apparently Mensa clubs do hold parties and mixers for their members. I can't even imagine how gruesome that would be.
    From what I've recently heard at the get-togethers they mostly sit around and play scrabble, which is definitely not how I would choose to spend my saturday nights. When I first joined I thought I could learn a thing or two from being around a bunch of "smart" people but I've since learned that just because someone is in mensa doesn't necessarily make them smart, and even if they are smart, it definitely doesn't make them very interesting.