• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Wearhouse isn't all that bad

codetomorrow

Reaction score
So you're given a $500 budget by an athletically built friend to recommend a clean everyday dark charcoal suit. Rather than sending him to become a victim of the minimum wage employees at the Men Wearhouse you tell him to buy...

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by codetomorrow
So you're given a $500 budget by an athletically built friend to recommend a clean everyday black suit. Rather than sending him to become a victim of the minimum wage employees at the Men Wearhouse you tell him to buy...

Sorry no I still wouldn't. There's a lot of better choices for $500

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tell him that there's no such thing as an 'everyday black suit' unless he works as an undertaker or a bouncer. I then send him to B&S to pick up something in charcoal or navy for $300-$400 as he will need to keep some cash spare for alterations.

codetomorrow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
Sorry no I still wouldn't. There's a lot of better choices for $500

That's what I mean. Where to go and what to buy rather than mens wearhouse and whatever they choose.

Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I tell him that there's no such thing as an 'everyday black suit' unless he works as an undertaker or a bouncer. I then send him to B&S to pick up something in charcoal or navy for $300-$400 as he will need to keep some cash spare for alterations.

You're right, I posted this without thinking. I was thinking dark not necessarily black, more like dark charcoal.

runner-guy

Reaction score
So you're given a $500 budget by an athletically built friend to recommend a clean everyday dark charcoal suit. Rather than sending him to become a victim of the minimum wage employees at the Men Wearhouse you tell him to buy...

I'd tell him to get measured somewhere and look on the B&S forum or ebay for a quality suit. A few months ago, I picked up a used charcoal Corneliani suit in excellent condition on ebay for $180 shipped. Got it dry cleaned and tailored and looks great. He can do way better than Men's Wearhouse.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Where does this fellow live? Does he know his measurements so he can buy online or will he have to try it on first? When you say "athletically" how much money in tailoring will he have to do to the suit?

Figuring he's going to have to spend at least $150 in tailoring (waist taken in on jacket and pants, pants hemmed, sleeves at correct length) that leaves only $350 for the suit. He's better off buying something heavily discounted if available to him, or even checking out thrift stores for a gently used suit. If he knows his measurements then have him search ebay or the sale forums here.

codetomorrow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by runner-guy
I'd tell him to get measured somewhere and look on the B&S forum or ebay for a quality suit. A few months ago, I picked up a used charcoal Corneliani suit in excellent condition on ebay for $180 shipped. Got it dry cleaned and tailored and looks great. He can do way better than Men's Wearhouse.

Telling him eBay without a brand or suggestion is a bad idea lol

Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Where does this fellow live? Does he know his measurements so he can buy online or will he have to try it on first? When you say "athletically" how much money in tailoring will he have to do to the suit?

Figuring he's going to have to spend at least $150 in tailoring (waist taken in on jacket and pants, pants hemmed, sleeves at correct length) that leaves only $350 for the suit. He's better off buying something heavily discounted if available to him, or even checking out thrift stores for a gently used suit. If he knows his measurements then have him search ebay or the sale forums here.

Northern California. Measurements are 6"-0' tall, 180lbs, 46" chest, 32" waist, he's built like a upside-down triangle, like a football player build.

Are there any stand by brands I can suggest. I'm actually looking for myself also but I've got about a $1,000 budget so I was leaning toward a Burberry suit for myself.

codetomorrow

Reaction score
Since I don't know much about suits I was thinking about taking him to Nordstrom. The most expensive suit they have there is around $1,500 and lots of choices around the $500 mark. All the brands listed on their website are these:
- Armani Collezioni
- Ben Sherman
- Burberry
- Calibrate
- Canali
- D&G
- Hart Schaffner Marx
- Hickey Freeman
- HUGO
- Hugo Boss
- John Varvatos Star USA
- John W. NordstromÂ
00ae.png

- Joseph Abboud
- Versace

Which of them should we stay away from?

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
Tell him to go to Jos. and get a couple suits on their perpetual sale. It's good for starting out on a budget.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
Tell him to go to Jos. and get a couple suits on their perpetual sale. It's good for starting out on a budget.

+1. they have great deals like buy 1 get 14 free!

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll cop to owning a MW suit. I bought it for an emergency job interview three years ago (I was away from my home city, and need to buy a suit and have it altered same-day after 5pm). It's really a ****** suit, but MOST people won't notice it.

The ONLY good thing about Mens Wearhouse is that they have stores everywhere, and will press their suits for free while you wait. If you're travelling, have to wear a suit it's a valuable service. I've only worn that suit twice after the interview, and both times in similar situations. Contrary to what the ads say, I didn't like the way I looked, but it got the job done.

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby

ffffuuuu.gif

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
I tell him that there's no such thing as an 'everyday black suit' unless he works as an undertaker or a bouncer. .

Or he works at UBS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics