• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mens Wearhouse CEO to Step Down

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
3,663
Reaction score
423
So, now we can blame someone else for men dressing in cheap suits and ugly ties?


 

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
1,126
Reaction score
15
Maybe the new CEO will go fashion forward with slimmer, modern suits...
 

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
5,059
Reaction score
131
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
yeah. at same cheap prices. i wouldnt mind if the quality was subpar, but something wearable, slim, and modern sleek looking. that would be actually great and hit an untapped marketplace

Don't H&M and Zara already target that market?
 

DerekS

Guyliner
Joined
Sep 17, 2010
Messages
8,625
Reaction score
4,843
I hear hes stepping down to devote more time to the website he owns AAAC.
 

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 5, 2010
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
135
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Don't H&M and Zara already target that market?

I could be wrong but I don't believe those chains offer standard suit sizing, and if they do, they surely don't offer Long or Short sizing.
 

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
22,224
Reaction score
25
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Don't H&M and Zara already target that market?

actually what i meant was, mens clothing SF approved cuts. like those found on an rlbl or john varvatos, certain armani cuts, isaia, dior, and the like. but made with the made in china fabric and fused construction to be made really cheap. and im not just talking about the diffusion line cheap... z zegna still runs 900 dollars at least. im talking about like $149.
but at least you would be able to wear out to a club in style but not afraid to have anything spilled onto it.
h&m and zara are slim fitting but the suit cuts are really generic. im talking about refined slim designer type cuts but at zara price point

i think if someone tapped into that, somehow made it work, then it would be very lucrative
 

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
1,126
Reaction score
15
Yea I think an low-intermediate pricepoint, well fitting, decently constructed suits would be a good target. I'm thinking similar to j crew, but slimmer fitting, and made more cheaply.

I've only been to H&M a few times, but the times I've gone in, their suits looked like they were falling apart off the rack and felt like tissue paper. Zara is okay, but their cuts look like they are trying too hard in most cases.

Also, H&M and Zara have the impression of targetting the college crowd, while MW can re-shape their image to young professionals.
 

EBugatti

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2009
Messages
513
Reaction score
18
^^^
I disagree. People in the market for Men's Wearhouse are not interested in "fit", "design", etc. They are forced into having to wear a "dressy" clothing item for work or some occasion, don't plan to wear it outside of that context, and consequently, don't want to pay a lot for it.

MW is not looking to offer cheap facsimiles of well-designed suits, jackets, etc. to satisfy the needs of a club-going iGent. That is a super-small niche market, and in my view, not a big profit opportunity.

Notice their business is described as: "renting tuxedos and selling suits and more informal clothing." The idea is to offer basic "dressy" clothing to those that neither want to wear such items or have to. This, I'm afraid, describes 95% of U.S. men, which is an interesting market proposition.
 

rgoldstein

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2010
Messages
329
Reaction score
8
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
actually what i meant was, mens clothing SF approved cuts. like those found on an rlbl or john varvatos, certain armani cuts, isaia, dior, and the like. but made with the made in china fabric and fused construction to be made really cheap. and im not just talking about the diffusion line cheap... z zegna still runs 900 dollars at least. im talking about like $149.
but at least you would be able to wear out to a club in style but not afraid to have anything spilled onto it.
h&m and zara are slim fitting but the suit cuts are really generic. im talking about refined slim designer type cuts but at zara price point

i think if someone tapped into that, somehow made it work, then it would be very lucrative


Have you ever actually been to a Men's Wearhouse? They have this kind of thing in every location I've been to. Usually well priced and decent for what you pay.
 

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Joined
Apr 15, 2006
Messages
22,224
Reaction score
25
Originally Posted by rgoldstein
Have you ever actually been to a Men's Wearhouse? They have this kind of thing in every location I've been to. Usually well priced and decent for what you pay.

ive been into mw and 3 day suit broker and the like. they do have the slim cut suit, but they stilll run billowy. they arent in any sense of the sf type slim i am referring to. and the cuts are generic believe me
 

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Messages
1,800
Reaction score
27
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
ive been into mw and 3 day suit broker and the like. they do have the slim cut suit, but they stilll run billowy. they arent in any sense of the sf type slim i am referring to. and the cuts are generic believe me

The place you're looking for is called Express, and their suits are actually pretty good.
 

HarleyBob

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2010
Messages
411
Reaction score
20
This is the worst news I have heard all day. I hope I can sleep tonight.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 12 4.1%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 45 15.4%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 91 31.2%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 54 18.5%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 22 7.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 19 6.5%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 11 3.8%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 6 2.1%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 12 4.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 100+

    Votes: 16 5.5%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,343
Messages
9,197,306
Members
193,171
Latest member
TiersonRiet

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top