• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's watch at the $5K mark?

ant702

Reaction score
Around 04/05 a Seamaster automatic was $1,750. Omega has also upgraded all of the movements to coaxials in the past few years and Rolex has probably spent a good deal on R&D developing new design updates (virtually all have updated cases/bracelets/bezels in the last 5-8 years).
I knew I was close, I bought both,but do'nt ask where they are now! Maybe one of you blokes are enjoying it now
biggrin.gif

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I knew I was close, I bought both,but do'nt ask where they are now! Maybe one of you blokes are enjoying it now:D

Sorry, typo on my part; meant 01/02. 04/05 was when Rolex began updating all of the cases/bracelets.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
5k is a tricky threshold for watches - on one hand you will find it difficult to find manufacture movements of any quality; on the other you would be vastly overpaying for ebauche watches.

Value for money has never been the strong suit of the Swiss; rather, myth creation is.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

5k is a tricky threshold for watches - on one hand you will find it difficult to find manufacture movements of any quality; on the other you would be vastly overpaying for ebauche watches.
Value for money has never been the strong suit of the Swiss; rather, myth creation is.

A few notable exceptions (to the $5k manufacture observation, not the value observation), in my opinion, are the most basic Rolexes, some uncomplicated Zeniths (the Captain on leather retails for $5k exactly) and the more basic Co-axial Omegas (if you call them true manufacture movements).

diadem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the IWC Portofino line and the Zenith El Primero line at this price point. You might be able to swing for a base model Jaeger LeCoultre at $5k, but I think my first 2 suggestions are better for the money. I really like chronographs, so the watch I have my eyes on right now is the Longines Column Wheel Chronograph. It's below $5k, but it looks like a watch that costs more than it actually does. Plus, the column wheel movement is a real beauty. Can't wait til I save up enough for that baby...

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's below $5k, but it looks like a watch that costs more than it actually does.  

Perhaps one of the worst reasons to buy a watch...

Nothing against that particular piece, and you should buy it if you like it, but not for the above reason.

ant702

Reaction score
A few notable exceptions (to the $5k manufacture observation, not the value observation), in my opinion, are the most basic Rolexes, some uncomplicated Zeniths (the Captain on leather retails for $5k exactly) and the more basic Co-axial Omegas (if you call them true manufacture movements).
I dont subsrcibe to the so called "MANUFACTURE THEME," Even Rolex uses ETA for Tudor! That's a inside joke being played, for your VANITY! I agree 101% with ~b~
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
I know I'm new here, but has anyone ever talked about the cost of owner- ship of this stuff? If your rich, then it does not apply, obviously! You gotta get'em serviced sometime, and when you do, trust me you will not like the prices! And of course you can reject the service, but still be on the hook for charges!

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dont subsrcibe to the so called "MANUFACTURE THEME," Even Rolex uses ETA for Tudor! That's a inside joke being played, for your VANITY! I agree 101% with ~b~
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
I know I'm new here, but has anyone ever talked about the cost of owner- ship of this stuff? If your rich, then it does not apply, obviously! You gotta get'em serviced sometime, and when you do, trust me you will not like the prices! And of course you can reject the service, but still be on the hook for charges! 

I have no idea what this means.

ant702

Reaction score
Try brands like Rolex for example. Famous high end watch brand you dig!
Very true! Buuut, most knocked-off brand! get a fake, save some money! Mine was real, but everone thought it was fake! Glad I get rid of it! No pun intended!

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What? You never sent any of your watches in for service? You never heard of Tudor? 

I service my mechanicals as needed and I've certainly heard of Tudor. However the overall point of your post was lost in its incoherent nature.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very true! Buuut, most knocked-off brand! get a fake, save some money! Mine was real, but everone thought it was fake! Glad I get rid of it! No pun intended!

This may be the worst advice regarding watches I've ever seen anywhere. You clearly know nothing of, nor appreciate high-end timepieces if you're advocating buying a fake of anything. Don't like Rolex? Fine, I can respect that. But the solution to overpaying for a real Rolex shouldn't be to purchase a fake one.

Last edited:

ant702

Reaction score
I service my mechanicals as needed and I've certainly heard of Tudor. However the overall point of your post was lost in its incoherent nature.
Gotcha, my fault, couldnt help myself! I got way 2many issues with luxury watches! Had 17, got 1 now! Starting over, but trying to be a alittle smarter in my puchases!

ant702

Reaction score
This may be the worst advice regarding watches I've ever seen anywhere. You clearly know nothing of, nor appreciate high-end timepieces if you're advocating buying a fake of anything. Don't like Rolex? Fine, I can respect that. But the solution to overpaying for a real Rolex shouldn't be to purchase a fake one.
Your right, please dont take offense, just 1mans opinion to another! I dont dislike Rolex, I just feel ist's an overrated brand, thats all!

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You will find a lot of people disagree with this notion. Don't let it discourage you from buying a watch under 5k. Blanket statements like this are misleading.

Perhaps you meant to apply this to the new manufacturer's price. In that case I would mostly agree with you but even then, not in all cases.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads