Men's watch at the $5K mark?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by antipaladin, Jun 11, 2012.

1. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

Rolex will cost 9-10k now... :( but I'm talking about their sportier collection (new ceramic subs, gmts, yachty, DSSD)

I am SO down for that JLC MC! A shop here in DC actually tagged it at 4800 IIRC.... and +1million on that Seiko GS - open caseback, in house movement.

The Zenith's are growing on me

My next watch will most likely be a vintage patek or a jules audemars.... still saving :embar:

2. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

You can find LNIB Rolexes for ~$5.5k. Buying a new watch is like buying a new car and really not worth it IMO. Especially for a maker like Rolex whose designs haven't significantly changed in the last 60 years.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

3. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

Completely agree. I think watchuseek and other forums have some great deals in their B&S threads - and there are AD's also participating in them. I would still use caution and meet at an AD for verification though.

Had an office buddy buy a fake - the F-er had fake papers with the box as well :(

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

4. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I like Bernard Watch for used watches. I wish they would get into the vintage game though!

5. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Senior member

For your first "nice" watch, I would recommend going for a brick&mortar experience. There's no.better feeling than leaving a boutique with a brand new watch that is all you.

At your price point, I would recommend an IWC Pilot Chrono (New/Old), A NOS Breitling Navitimer (ADs may still have some) or an Omega Seamaster.

If buying USED, go for a Rolex Submariner. Classic watch and I believe every watch enthusiast should have a Rolex.

6. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I would suggest:

Go to as many stores and boutiques as you can and try on as much as you can- it sucks to love a watch in pictures only to have it not fit well/look worse in person/etc.

You have to think somewhat long term if you're going to spend 5k on a watch (the average guy at least). Will it be the only one for years, and thus you need it to be very versatile?

Take your time making a short list, and then look at the short list pieces A LOT before making a decision. Make sure you LOVE it before buying, buyer's remorse happens a lot in watches.

Educate yourself to the nth and buy used from a reputable seller on reputable forums like timezone/rolex forums. New watch prices are insane. North of 7k for a steel Submariner now, fuck off Rolex. Watches that are a revision or two back- usually very similar to the current model- are a good value, in many cases.

7. antipaladin

antipaladin Member

I was thinking heavily on an Omega PO Chronograph

http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/seamaster/planet-ocean-chrono/23230465101003

What sort of discount should I expect on this nowadays through an AD?
    I've seen some posts with people getting 25%-30% but spoke to two jewellers
    in CT who laughed and said "Maybe 5%...these fly out the door".

With an $8200 retail, I was hoping to get somewhere around $6K. Am I being
    unrealistic or just need to shop around more?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

8. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Cartier tank franchise. I have one in gold, a bit more than 5k, but in stainless steel they are also very cool and right about your price point.

9. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Well if they can't match an online dealer, buy it online.

http://www.prestigetime.com/items.php?brand=26&series=918

BTW, I find anything over 25% very difficult to believe unless it's a model the AD wants to get rid of.

10. antipaladin

antipaladin Member

It's my first high end watch purchase and was hoping to buy from an AD as I'm planning
    on keeping it for a long while. I managed to find a 15% discount from one AD although
    8 out of 10 said "nothing" and one said "5%". I've checked the grey market sites and the
    one you mentioned is the best at 18% with a month long wait. I think I'm going to jump
    on the 15%. $6970 from an AD with the full warranty is worth the peace of mind

I've officially joined the fancy watch club. :)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

11. antipaladin

antipaladin Member

Even better...got the 25% from another AD and pulled the trigger on this one. Great watch!

12. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

A relationship or referral will go a long way. I got a referral to my Rolex AD and got 20% off on an Exp. II (granted this was in 2009, mid-recession) and also received a referral to my IWC dealer who got me 25% off on a special order Mk XVI and subsequently got my father 30% off on an IWC and two friends 25% off on their Omegas (one a PO 42mm, the other a SMP 300m).

13. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

All from the same AD? You bring a lot more business than I could, but well done.

14. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Senior member

Good stuff. ADs are your safest best and give the best experience.

Pics?

15. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

The Rolex was from on AD, the IWCs and Omegas from another. However, initially I received introductions to both (one from a family friend, the other from someone on Time Zone). Spend some time on some watch-specific forums and you should be able to find some good introductions yourself.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012