Men's watch at the $5K mark?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by antipaladin, Jun 11, 2012.

1. supplychainman

supplychainman Senior member

I apologize if I dont offer a $5k watch but I have been very impressed with my Stowa. It saves you 4k and is a very nice watch with a nice movement... http://stowa.com/
    Eviltuna: The Glashutte moonphaseWatch is so nice!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. EvilTuna7

EvilTuna7 Well-Known Member

Not sure if that was directed at me but I don't think I went too far overboard. The Jaeger Reverso Grande Taille Mechanical is $5500, the Breitling Transocean is $4000, The Zenith Captain Moonphase is $5042 (and the non-moonphase version is 4k), and the Glashutte Original Senator Hand Date is $4560. Granted, these are all online prices, but if you find a good AD you can probably get close to them.

3. EvilTuna7

One of my good friends has a DeepSea and I must say it's a very impressive watch. Despite its size it wears very comfortably and looks great. I'd save up quick though, they keep raising the price on it.

4. JTP1000

JTP1000 Active Member

Nomos Glashutte has a lot of watches in sub $5K price point. Not really any dive watches, but in-house movements and nice, clean design. Also Horween Leather straps :slayer:

5. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

The Omegas under consideration by the OP are all very nice. I'd personally go for the Aqua Terra.

A brand that probably wouldn't get much consideration here, but really are quite exquisite, is Grand Seiko. I recently acquired one and the workmanship is on par with watches that costs quite a bit more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. sdolina

sdolina Senior member

Wow, you guys have a nice prices in US.

7. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

You will not find any of those watches for close to those prices with a warranty.

8. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  9. EvilTuna7

I disagree. If you go through a site like prestige time (where I took those prices from) they provide their own warranty to you. I think you'll agree that situation is not ideal but you certainly aren't left out to dry if something should go wrong with the watch. Also, my watches have been bought through ADs and I've always received nice discounts off the msrp. The range of the discount depends on the brand but it's not unreasonable to expect 10 - 25 percent off the retail price (rolex being one of the few exceptions to this).

10. rwaldron

rwaldron Well-Known Member

What is AD an abbreviation for?

11. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I think authorized dealer.

12. EvilTuna7

Yea AD = authorized dealer. Sorry for the short hand.

13. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Member

I'd go for Omega or Breitling. I think Omega's still offer one of the best values out of any watch manufacturer. I have a Planet Ocean XL and love the thing. You can dress it up or down with different straps, and it's been extremely reliable for me. Pretty sure you can get one for under $5M with warranty too.

BTW, you can always get a used Rolex or something, but everyone and their brother has a Submariner. In the last several years I've seen less than 10 planet oceans in person. Probably something like 6-7 in that span. That's something I like.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  14. minervau

minervau Senior member

I'm curious how many Rolexes you've seen, and whether this is a fair comparison. Submariner is probably the most popular Rolex (or on bar with Datejust), while Planet Ocean is further down the Omega popularity totem pole. You will see plenty of Speedmaster Pros or more conventional Seamasters (e.g., Aqua Terra), and I'd personally guess that of the luxury watch brands, Omega is the 2nd most popular brand in the US other than Rolex.

I'd suggest the poster take a look at JLC, as mentioned above, or in the 5K range, a Zenith Ultra Thin or for a bit more, a Captain Moonphase. Beautiful watches with history, in-house movements, and good styling, and these you truly will not see on every other wrist, even in New York or LA.

15. got8spd

got8spd New Member

I agree with one other person and vote the Zenith. Great watch, little more exclusive as you don't see everyone wearing one like a Rolex or a Panerai. You can get a Ultra Thin Elite for probably around 5k...I have Grande Class 44mm...LOVE IT.

[​IMG]

Rolexes will cost more than 5k now a days no? I think the Explorer II is now like 6200?
    [​IMG]