Mens Warehouse or Jos A Bank?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by manofstyle13, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

Figure out what you want your personal style to go first, then ask questions.

2. cartisdm

cartisdm Senior member

Figure out what you want your personal style to go first, then ask questions.

Beginners don't know what they want. That's why they [we] ask questions.

3. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

hmmmm......... [​IMG] Imma done trolling MC tonight.

4. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Definitely Jos A Bank. I'd go to Sears before Men's Wearhouse.

5. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Definitely Jos A Bank. I'd go to Sears before Men's Wearhouse.

When you get the downloadable version of The Encyclopedia of Mens Clothes, these are the exact and only words.

6. RLP

RLP Senior member

Mens Wearhouse visit- ok
    Joseph A Banks- the clerk barely knew what he was selling though the products were exceptional

so if you can.. neither but if you have to JAB

7. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

I would try to find a HSM suit at Nordstrom Rack, Macy's or some place like that before either of these.

8. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

JAB, definitely. You can get A-Es at 20% off if you have the Corporate Card (which just about anybody can get), and I think their Signature Gold suits are pretty fair values at 70% off (which they frequently are).

In all, I'd probably put JAB on about the same level for quality, etc., as Macy's, but JAB's goods tend to be more classic and conservative, if somewhat uninspired, stylistically.

In all, if I had to rate clothing chains (as far as menswear goes), I'd put Neiman-Marcus and Barney's at the top, with Saks a bit lower, followed by Bloomingdales and Brooks (very close, Brooks is more my taste), then Nordstrom, followed at a considerable distance by JAB and Macy's, then Penney's and MW at the bottom.

9. tacobender

tacobender Senior member

JAB suits are all larger fitting, but for what its worth they don't appear to be baggy on their average clientel. They cater to that older - pot belled crowd that probably isn't going to fit into a dior cut anyway...If, and it is a large if, you can fit the clothes they sell well...It is a heck of a price. I won't vouch for quality since I have not purchased anything from there, but if it has any durability whatsoever there could be some value there...

I'd actually like to be a customer but everything they sell is so big, I can justify spending any $ on ill fitting clothes.

10. tjc4golf

tjc4golf Senior member

For instance, I really want to build my closet, but there's no way I can start throwing hundreds of dollars around for single items. I'd like to do that after I have something to work with. Kind of the idea of "cycling" out the worst thing in the closet as you get something newer (and better)

You say money is a concern (i.e. "there's no way I can start throwing hundreds of dollars around for single items") but your strategy (i.e "cycling") is much more expensive than getting the good stuff to start with. And, in addition to costing more, you delay your enjoyment of the good stuff. Except for certain circumstances (e.g. just graduated college and have a job that requires a suit everyday) that lend themselves to the cycling method I'd avoid it.

11. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Beginners don't know what they want. That's why they [we] ask questions.

Have you tried the Salvation Army? I hear they have a great selection this time of the year.

12. Timeless Fashion

Timeless Fashion Senior member

I'm just curious to know which retailer people like more and why. I dont really go to either that much but have bought a few things from Mens Warehouse.

It depends on what you are looking to buy from these places. Are you looking for suits, dress pants, shirts? I think the quality of JAB products are acceptable at their steep discount prices (70-80% off their MRSP).

13. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

It depends on what you are looking to buy from these places. Are you looking for suits, dress pants, shirts? I think the quality of JAB products are acceptable at their steep discount prices (70-80% off their MRSP).

They never stop their commercials, which I mean the have discount everyday..
    [​IMG]

14. landshark

landshark Senior member

Men's Wearhouse is a pretty popular store with Styleforum. Plus, they guarantee that you'll like the way you look!