Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mens vs Womens Overcoats/Jackets

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by WRAdvisor, Apr 26, 2010.

1. WRAdvisor

WRAdvisor Senior member

As some of you may have read, I have come into a very nice vintage wardrobe that I'll be selling in the next week in the B&S thread. There are a handful of vintage overcoats, trenchcoats and leather jackets that are all in excellent condition and have been stored away in a cedar closet for the past 20 years or so. My question is this:

What is the difference between mens and womens jackets?

I've read that button placement is different, but other sites have said that doesn't matter. I'm sure that fit is the main thing, as I've tried them on and they fit like Mens jackets/coats. If wearing the jacket, the buttons are on the right side and the holes on the left (which indicates a Womens?)

The arms seem a little shorter, which would make me think they're Womens, but there is still room in the shoulders which would make me think it's a Mens.

Any opinions would be great! Thank you.

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I like this thread a lot, and maintain high hopes for its development.

- B

3. WRAdvisor

WRAdvisor Senior member

Yeah, me too. I'm not sure if it's a ridiculous question or not?

I'm no rookie in the mens fashion department, but this is something I've never learned or came across before.

4. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

A men's jacket/coat typically closes left over right. This allows a sword to be drawn without snagging the coat and making one look stupid. Vary rarely is this convention subverted, even in high-fashion.

Edit: Also, women's coats tend to have room for big old boobies. If you could put a bag of flour in the breast pocket, then its one for the girls.

5. WRAdvisor

WRAdvisor Senior member

These coats/jackets don't have excess room in the chest and have decent size shoulders, which makes me believe they're Mens. Although, they have slightly shorter sleeves which indicates Womens. Also, the size on the tag is in Ladies sizes (i.e 4, 6, 8 etc....) but they're from the 60s and 70s, so I'm not sure how sizing worked back then. I want to sell them here, but are people going to be pissed if they purchase and the buttons/tag size indicate Womens? I'm going to take measurements for sure.

6. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I want to sell them here, but are people going to be pissed if they purchase and the buttons/tag size indicate Womens?

It depends on whether you target your vintage women's coats to the gender-neutral or moobier StyleForvm members.

There was a thread a while back where a Senior Member took vintage skirts and sewed them together vertically from hem to about crotch height and then separated the sides with sheers to make comfortable, loose-fitting shorts. He paired these with odd jackets for a distinctive look.

So, there is more of a woman's clothing-wearing demographic here than you might suspect. I think that your women's coats will sell like bonkers to this niche male market.

- B

7. WRAdvisor

WRAdvisor Senior member

Thank you for the response Vox. I would have to say these coats don't look like something a female would wear, at all. They will be going up for sale in the next week or so, I think I still have a few days until my mandatory 45 day wait for selling as a newer member.

8. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

These coats/jackets don't have excess room in the chest and have decent size shoulders, which makes me believe they're Mens. Although, they have slightly shorter sleeves which indicates Womens. Also, the size on the tag is in Ladies sizes (i.e 4, 6, 8 etc....) but they're from the 60s and 70s, so I'm not sure how sizing worked back then. I want to sell them here, but are people going to be pissed if they purchase and the buttons/tag size indicate Womens? I'm going to take measurements for sure.

You can't go by fit. Fit have varied with fashion over the years. Oversized to too tight.

Yes some guys will be pissed. Women OTOH don't tend to mind buying guys clothing.

9. WRAdvisor

WRAdvisor Senior member

Yeah, that's good point. I'm not sure how many (if any) women look at this site, but I think it's worth a shot to sell them as long as I post a lot of pictures and very accurate measurements. Thanks for the reply, still looking to get interest and any opinions. Like my post said before, if there is any interest in Vintage suits/jackets/overcoats, please PM and let me know.

10. apropos

apropos Senior member

Ah, vox...
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.