• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Vintage Stores in London

Ramalhoni

Reaction score
This weekend I'll be in London and would love to find a nice Harris Tweed Vintage Blazer.
Does anyone know any good vintage stores that cary this kind of item?????

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This blog post has some recommendations - http://www.mensflair.com/shopping-gu...ideas-from.php It might also be worth checking spitalfields market, and maybe the Sunday Up Market on Brick Lane on Sunday, even if you don't find anything they are quite fun and you can get pretty good food at the Up Market. I will say you will have to do a lot of searching to find something decent at a decent price. Vintage/second hand in the UK seems generally to be split between places selling absolute crap very cheaply, and places selling decent stuff at pretty ridiculously high prices with not much in between. Also this thread should probably have been in mens clothing.

perk252

Reaction score
+1 on Brick Lane/Spitalfields. That's on a Sunday, so maybe Portobello Market on the Saturday? If you're in central London there are a couple of vintage shops on Berwick St in Soho, down the end towards the outdoor market. As stated, though, they're a bit expensive. It would be well worth your while stopping into any charity shop you see, as you're guaranteed to see loads of tweed jackets, and you only need to be lucky once!

YSC, that was an interesting article. I hadn't heard of some of those places mentioned and will be checking them out. And you're right, this thread will get more views on Men's Clothing than here.

mauser

Reaction score
Not exactly for Harris Tweed (Old Hat may indeed be a very good bet for that), but anyone looking for gently used designer gear can have a look at L'Homme Designer Exchange on Blandford Street.

London has nice vintage stores throughout but in my opinion this is the best.

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mauser
Not exactly for Harris Tweed (Old Hat may indeed be a very good bet for that), but anyone looking for gently used designer gear can have a look at L'Homme Designer Exchange on Blandford Street.

I went past there the other day exploring the environs of my new office. What sort of stuff do they have in there?

perk252

Reaction score
I stopped by Old Hat in Putney today after work. They have a pretty big selection of vintage stuff, and the prices aren't outrageous, which is nice. Not too much tweed in my size (40-42) that took my fancy, but some very nice vintage suits. Will be heading back when I've got more time. There was a Brazilian lady working there who was very helpful, and she said they get new stuff in every month. It's a bit out of the way from central London, but it's only 5 minutes from Putney Bridge Station, so the OP may feel it's worth his while. You can always take a walk along the riverside there if it's a nice day!

mauser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Not Ed Harris
I went past there the other day exploring the environs of my new office. What sort of stuff do they have in there?

The shop may be a little more SW&D than MC orientated. Haven't been to the shop in about 18 months now (I don't live in the UK) but the stock usually varies from the more flamboyant designer gear to conservative stuff; mostly in very nice condition, although the shop is really stuffed, but as always with vintage shops, it's a matter of luck to find something. I have purchased a little this and that (sweaters, ties, pants) from the shop over the years. For me, they do always seem to stock something of interest, but that would of course depend on what you're looking for.

Just a precaution, I wouldn't expect to find much strictly tailored clothes in the shop.

There is also a similar womens' shop next door. And I hear the new Monocle-friendly shop (Trunk Clothiers) is very nearby as well.

perk252

Reaction score
You're right, mauser, Trunk Clothiers is literally around the corner from L'homme Designer. It's on Chiltern St, which is just off Blandford St. in Marylebone. It's got some fantastic stuff and the staff are very friendly. It is well worth a look, though anyone looking for a tweed jacket won't get much change from £500!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by perk252
You're right, mauser, Trunk Clothiers is literally around the corner from L'homme Designer. It's on Chiltern St, which is just off Blandford St. in Marylebone. It's got some fantastic stuff and the staff are very friendly. It is well worth a look, though anyone looking for a tweed jacket won't get much change from £500!

I was in Trunk last week and v. impressed - stocks J Crew menswear in the UK which is a rarity, Incotex etc.

In terms of tweed, you could try Hornets. There are a few branches based around Kensington Church St, the best of which I think is just after where the road starts to bend heading towards Notting Hill Gate.

andyboston

Reaction score
Hi, a while ago I put the Vintage/Thrift stores in London I know of on Google Maps - the map is public, so I hope you can access it here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...27158&t=h&z=11

In my experience (I went to about half of the shops by now) London is rather pricey in this department overall, so you probably find more 'vintage' than 'thrift' stores in the City. The area around Brick Lane is perfect if you need a dozen or so shops virtually next to each other - start with the 'Beyon Retro' in Cheshire Street (which is pretty huge) and afterwards you can go down Brick Lane, including the markets that are to the best of my knowledge only there during weekends. It's easy to spend the whole day in the area - plus there are lots of good Indian restaurants (and bbq places etc.) around to recover from the shopping experience again.

As I said, the prices are rather high (I guess your vintage tweed jacket would go for 20-40GBP depending on the place), but quality is usually quite good so you can focus on fit/material etc. instead of needing to wade through a pile of cr*p in order to find a jacket in suitable shape.

Feel free to pm me new places etc. so I can add them - I just got a new wardrobe that needs to be filled :)

perk252

Reaction score
Thanks andyboston, that map is extremely helpful. London is a bit pricy for secondhand or "vintage", especially around Brick Lane, and it's frustrating. But your map will give me renewed impetus to try a few more shops. Many thanks!
smile.gif

brokentelephone

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mauser

Hmm -- I found that place pretty gross!

There is an amazing ladies shop called Pandora which my girlfriend visits very regularly. Its all very high end designer stuff at extremely low prices (including Hermes Birkins, LV, Chanel, etc). Most of the stuff is like-new or new. I always lament that there should be a guys version!

Not helpful but hey!

TedLondon

Reaction score
my girl-friend recommended this guide. you can filter by keywords eg vintage, menswear

have a look http://www.myshoppingspy.com/shop/list/33,41

i think one of the shops in saville row also sells vintage jackets and suits. have to have a think about it and post it when i remember.

T

gululv

Reaction score
There's supposed to be a market in London where a man sells old Red Wing boots, any idea where this might be?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads