Men's Summer Hats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lafont, May 30, 2012.

1. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

I've asked this before; don't recall responses. In the places with real winters, with the four seasons, do men traditionally not wear the straw summer hats until Memorial Day or just in the spring? I know with ladies' hats the lighter weight, straw types go with Easter, so obviously they are worn considerably before Memorial Day. Also, are the men's panamas, etc. worn past Labor Day into the warmer days of the fall? Yes, yes - I'm only speaking of the traditional rules of etiquette, obviously, for those of us who still care....

2. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Traditionally, straw hat season ran May 15 until either Labor day a week after depending on who you were talking to.

3. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Senior member

Interesting, I didn't know there were rules. Geez where have I been? :embar:

4. comrade

comrade Senior member

There are rules for everything. Don't get me started on spats...very complicated.

5. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Ky Derby Day (1st Sat in May) until Labor Day. Global warming is saying early April until mid Oct.???

6. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

Of course, Memorial Day is American; not sure about Labor Day but I'd venture to say our particular date for it is only in the U.S. Other countries - e.g. all the temperate-climate parts of Europe - would have to have different dates
    I know it's been standard for the stores to start selling women's "spring hats" in the winter, with the idea they'd be worn on Easter Sunday. Jewish women used to go all out with hats for Passover too, I've read. The spring hats are the warm weather styles - typically straw - so are you saying men's straw hats don't traiditonally follow the same calendar?

I've heard and read "Memorial Day" and "Labor Day" for "summer ties" - i.g. cotton. Have these ties followed a different rule? What else has gone by these rules? Seersucker? Linen suits and jackets? White or light-colored suits? White dress shoes? Are they all the same or are the straw hats different, as evidenced with this "Easter bonnet" thing for women?

I realize most of you out there - even in this forum, may not give a hoot about this sort of thing, but there are old rules about these things and I'm trying to find out what they are.

7. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Actually, traditionally straw hats were worn May 15th through September 15th. Wearing them later could lead to your hat being ripped off your head and punched through. Occasionally it lead to rioting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_Hat_Riot

8. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

A rule is a rule; I have not sympathy for those men who thought they could get away with wearing their summer hat too late in the season - even the last few days of summer! Actually, I've also read many men would get a new straw hat every year (they couldn't really be cleaned after all.... so if one was destroyed at the end of the season it would have been no big deal for many.:stirpot:

9. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Boaters were inexpensive and replaced annually I believe. When men started wearing Panamas it became a different story.

10. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Senior member

WTF? You'd have to get a new straw hat every year?? :puzzled:

11. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

The only straw hats I have ever found thrifting have been in tatters. I don't think even the best ones made it through summer.

12. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Real Panamas last. You just have to steam them while you shower occasionally to keep them from drying out.

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

14. Spats

Spats Senior member

If you live in Texas and you wear it, you will.