• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Men's Suits

PaulyMaz

Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2018
Messages
10
Reaction score
3
I'm a recent college graduate and I am looking to invest in a good suit. Any brands that you would suggest? What colors are most trendy these days? What Material is best? Any Instagram pages I should follow for inspiration/ideas?
 

johng70

Senior Member
Joined
May 13, 2013
Messages
515
Reaction score
185
I'm assuming from your post that a suit is not required for your job. So, if you're like 90% of the population you will wear it for weddings or funerals. Be careful - this forum is dominated by the other 10%. If you read too much here you could get the impression you need to spend $1800 on a suit. You don't. In the next 5 years, you might need the suit 12 times or so. A navy or charcoal suit is the most versatile - appropriate for either weddings or funerals - just avoid pinstripes. Spend more money on the clothes you wear constantly - not the clothes you wear once or twice a year. A $300 suit from Men's Warehouse that is properly tailored will look great. The key being properly tailored. Where lack of quality starts to show is with wear and tear - a suit worn 12 times in 5 years isn't getting a lot of wear and tear. So, it makes more of a difference when the suit is being work 25 times a year.
It makes far more sense to spend money on making sure the clothes you wear to work and out on the town look better on you. When all those clothes are tailored, then look into spending $1800 on a suit. In other words, don't be the guy who wears cargo shorts and tee-shirts or baggy jeans / khakis and $20 shirts but once a year dresses in a $2000 suit that no one at the wedding is going to appreciate over the $400 suit (or even the $200 suit)

Just a thought unless you're independently wealthy - in which case, ignore everything I said.
 

PaulyMaz

Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2018
Messages
10
Reaction score
3
I'm assuming from your post that a suit is not required for your job. So, if you're like 90% of the population you will wear it for weddings or funerals. Be careful - this forum is dominated by the other 10%. If you read too much here you could get the impression you need to spend $1800 on a suit. You don't. In the next 5 years, you might need the suit 12 times or so. A navy or charcoal suit is the most versatile - appropriate for either weddings or funerals - just avoid pinstripes. Spend more money on the clothes you wear constantly - not the clothes you wear once or twice a year. A $300 suit from Men's Warehouse that is properly tailored will look great. The key being properly tailored. Where lack of quality starts to show is with wear and tear - a suit worn 12 times in 5 years isn't getting a lot of wear and tear. So, it makes more of a difference when the suit is being work 25 times a year.
It makes far more sense to spend money on making sure the clothes you wear to work and out on the town look better on you. When all those clothes are tailored, then look into spending $1800 on a suit. In other words, don't be the guy who wears cargo shorts and tee-shirts or baggy jeans / khakis and $20 shirts but once a year dresses in a $2000 suit that no one at the wedding is going to appreciate over the $400 suit (or even the $200 suit)

Just a thought unless you're independently wealthy - in which case, ignore everything I said.
Hey thank you for this! As a recent college graduate, I'm still working on finding a job. Due to my field of study, I'm certain that a suit will an everyday thing. This definitely helps! You mentioned a number of things that I hadn't even thought of. Thank you!
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

  • 7”

    Votes: 47 16.1%
  • 7.5”

    Votes: 100 34.2%
  • 8”

    Votes: 89 30.5%
  • 8.5”

    Votes: 33 11.3%
  • 9”

    Votes: 11 3.8%
  • 9.5”

    Votes: 7 2.4%
  • 10”

    Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 10.5”

    Votes: 4 1.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
431,930
Messages
9,266,963
Members
194,520
Latest member
amoydao
Top