Mens Suit Trousers - Low, Mid or High Rise? and why?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dng992, Mar 12, 2016.

1. dng992

dng992 Senior member

Whats peoples thoughts on the above. Im aware that for casual suiting all would work.

Im specifically thinking formal/business suiting.

Also are there any rules/guidance on which is good for bodytypes? Im 5'8 with 25-26" quads.

2. seejulius

seejulius Member

first and foremost there is no set rule to fashion, most important suggestion i would make is be comfortable.

I wear many of trousers high waisted because the comfort level on my quads and it looks cleaner.

The downside to wearing high waisted trousers if you're short (I am 6'3) is that you will look shorter.

If your quads are that big I would suggest going to get custom trousers. Not many places will give you the allowance you need in you quads and taper the knee down for you. I would wear the trousers at your hip bone and just get custom trousers.

3. AStylishHo

AStylishHo Member

I would recommend Mid-Rise to High-Rise to minimize the chances of your shirts becoming untucked.

4. IChen

IChen Senior member

I prefer mid. Either mid or high to be honest.

5. BenjaminZeev

BenjaminZeev Senior member

I think that is the most important thing.

I prefer high. I find shirts stay tucked better. Pants stay up better. Iā€™m 5ā€™6ā€ and have not found anyone thinking a high rise on the trousers was notable. I think most will notice the fabric, tapering, length, and cuffs first unless the rise is extreme.

6. GBR

GBR Senior member

Fit and comfort are the two key tests.

7. starro

starro Senior member

Agree with all of the above. Just want to add that, as a rule, higher rise has the visual effect of elongating the legs, which I'm guessing is helpful in your case.

8. dng992

dng992 Senior member

Is there a norm of what inch opening you should get trousers for businesswear?. I do like classic styles but for suiting particularly as a younger person I like modern approach. Is it simply best to get the tailor to just pin down the trousers?