Men's stores in Maastricht, the Netherlands

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fabienne, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

I will be on business in Maastricht next year, and was wondering if there were any worthwhile men's stores there. Would anyone know? I was recently in Cologne and missed the right stores, so I thought I'd start doing research early this time. A secondary question: since I will be trying to find a gift for my husband and he won't be with me, what would you recommend I focus on? (no, he does not wear ties). Thank you for any recommendations/response to either question.

2. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

It looks like Maastricht only has a tie shop [http://www.qualitytie.nl/], which really isn't going to help you. But Maastricht is close to Brussels and Cologne. With a rental car or a train, your options increase. Who knows a good shoemaker in Brussels or Cologne?

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

sorry, I would suggest that there is probrably nothing that you can buy in Koln or Mastrict that you can't buy cheaper someplace else, with the state of the dollar. About 90 minutes away there is a hugo boss discount outlet (outside of Dusseldorf) that some of my friends have bought at, but I wouldn't recomend driving that far for boss. The Dutch are pretty big cigar smokers and gin drinkers, and not having limitations on trade with cuba you might want to get some good cigars and some unusual gin on your way through the airport. If you will be going through amsterdam on the way I can recomend a couple of places there.

4. Looking to improve

Looking to improve Senior member

Men's Stores in Maastricht: Suits: - Van Overeem Van Wissem (Stationsstraat) offers Canali suits among others, and Borrelli and La Buca ties; - Montulet (Maastrichter Smedenstraat) offers Polo Ralph Lauren along with Brioni, (some) Kiton and Borrelli, also sometimes ties by Nicky; - In de Laurier Bome (Maastrichter Smedenstraat, 2 stores, 1 Casual, Havenstraat, womens store) (some suits, but accessories more interesting); - Also some other stores in the Maastrichter Smedenstraat, one of which -I can't recall the name- carries Pal Zileri suits. Shoes: - Berghen (Maastrichter Smedenstraat) offers shoes by Berghen (sturdy, mountain walk type) and Allen Edmonds; - Shoes & Shirts (Havenstraat): shoes by Church's, C&J, Grenson, Edward Green, Tod's, Alden, Santoni, StefanoBi, Lattanzi; shirts by own brand and Ign. Joseph; scents from Geo. F. Trumper, Briggs umbrella's. Perfume: - Mignonne (Maastrichter Smedenstraat/Wolfstraat). All kinds. Other category: Coffee/Tea: - Maison Blanche Dael (Wolfstraat). Own brand of coffee (I like the Mocca Turc), Wide selection of tea, lots of teapots... These are just a few stores I can think of at the moment. I can add that the (old) center of Maastricht is quite small (everything in walking distance) and there's a lot to see. As you've probably noted, I think the Maastrichter Smedenstraat is the street where you want to start. The Havenstraat runs straight off from the Maastrichter Smedenstraat. Also nearby is the Onze Lieve Vrouweplein, which is lined with bars/restaurants and which turned into one large terrace(?) where you can sit down and have a drink or a (quick) bite when the weather improves. Have a nice stay there. MtB

5. jerrysfriend

jerrysfriend Senior member

Maastricht has the reputation of being the Tijuana of Europe. Situated at the tip end of a tiny finger of Dutch territory that dives deep into the dividing line between Belgium and Germany, it is where both Belgians and Germans go to sin and to take advantage of the more tolerant Dutch lifestyle; mainly to buy drugs.
    Actually, I spent two days there without knowing of its reputaton at the time, and other than seeing a few red lights hanging in doorways, it seemed perfectly normal to me. Nice town, actually.

6. jerrysfriend

jerrysfriend Senior member

7. Roy

Roy Senior member

(Fabienne @ 16 Dec. 2004, 05:24) I will be on business in Maastricht next year
    Maastricht has the reputation of being the Tijuana of Europe. Situated at the tip end of a tiny finger of Dutch territory that dives deep into the dividing line between Belgium and Germany, it is where both Belgians and Germans go to sin and to take advantage of the more tolerant Dutch lifestyle; mainly to buy drugs.
    This is complete and utter Bullshit. Most Germans go to Venlo or a different place in Limburg. Maastricht is probably the least Dutch town in the Netherlands. By the way, Holland is so small that if you want to take full advantage of our 'tolerant lifestyle' Amsterdam is less than 2 hours away.

8. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Thank you so much to "looking to improve" for the tips on Maastricht. What if I wanted to bring back something by a Dutch designer? I might actually consider renting a car and driving around a bit.

9. Roy

Roy Senior member

From what I've heard especially Shoes & Shirts is worth a visit. Also the Dutch Santoni importer has his showroom in Maastricht. http://www.beerens-international.nl. Dutch Designers: Viktor & Rolf http://www.viktor-rolf.nl/ they are pretty hot right now. Apart from them I don't really know.

10. Roy

Roy Senior member

I don't know if you will return to holland, but for bespoke shoes: http://www.ilmaestro.nl and for bespoke suits by a Dutch tailor (Attolini like quality i've heard) you should visit a tailor named Hekster.

11. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Merci . I do like the humor of Viktor and Rolf. Unfortunately, I'll be traveling without my husband, so a tailor is out of the question. Shoes are probably not a good idea either. I could risk a shirt, maybe.

12. Roy

Roy Senior member

If you want to have a look around for yourself: http://www.addyvandenkrommenacker.nl/ http://www.martvisser.nl/ Mart Visser is considered one of the best Dutch Couturiers. http://www.fransmolenaar.nl/home_flash.html Frans Molenaar is also very well known. http://www.sheiladevries.com/

13. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

I truly appreciate Mart Visser's Couture. But then I'd have to move back to Europe to get a chance to wear his designs. (I currently live in the US)

It is problematic: when I travel abroad, I want to bring back something for my husband I know he will enjoy, but sizes, fit, etc, all get fairly tricky. I keep trying. It's hit or miss, 50/50.

14. Roy

Roy Senior member

especially because of the differences in measuring sizes etc.