• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's sleeping wear thread

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm buying me a set of good quality sleepwear. I'm thinking of Derek Rose but is there something better for that price? And if you have experience with this brand, please share.

I'm thinking of this set to start with:

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I usually buy Derek Rose jim-jams but frankly I think they're overpriced at retail for what they are. I'm talking about their regular line here; I've no experience with their Savile Collection, which I think is their lower line. Because of the cost, and my somewhat stingy nature, I therefore usually bottom-feed on eBay for heavily discounted NWT pairs. As long as you're not in any particular rush to buy, you will eventually find a pair in your size, and in a fabric you like. They fit me nicely; baggy/loose enough for sleepwear without being voluminous. Comparing them to, say, M&S pyjamas, their key advantagesare that they tend to have a slightly nicer fabrics, slightly trimmer fit, much nicer buttons, and a couple of extra pockets which only come in useful once in a blue moon but are appreciated when you do need them. Other elements of construction are also better, but not in a way that matters to me.

Last edited:

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually buy Derek Rose jim-jams but frankly I think they're overpriced at retail for what they are. I'm talking about their regular line here; I've no experience with their Savile Collection, which I think is their lower line. Because of the cost, and my somewhat stingy nature, I therefore usually bottom-feed on eBay for heavily discounted NWT pairs. As long as you're not in any particular rush to buy, you will eventually find a pair in your size, and in a fabric you like. They fit me nicely; baggy/loose enough for sleepwear without being voluminous. Comparing them to, say, M&S pyjamas, their key advantagesare that they tend to have a slightly nicer fabrics, slightly trimmer fit, much nicer buttons, and a couple of extra pockets which only come in useful once in a blue moon but are appreciated when you do need them. Other elements of construction are also better, but not in a way that matters to me.
Good information. I think they are expensive that's for sure, but this time I wanna invest in it no matter what. But if I can get it cheaper of course I will wait, so you are saying I should look on ebay instead?

But in general it's good quality and good pyjamas?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not sure what more I can say; they're nice & well-made, yes.

Having said that, I think it's a bit pointless to consider pyjamas as something to "invest in". They're the kind of item that gets washed & tumble-dried so often that regardless of quality, they're going to wear out sooner than items you naturally will take a bit more care of. Spend as much as you want, without expectation that they're an item that will last forever. Linen PJs would probably outlast cotton, FWIW. If you want to really spend money on luxury jim-jams, there are more expensive pairs around, and finer materials like silk. Other brands I've occasionally heard mentioned on here (but that I've never tried) are Zimmerli and T&A. I think someone here had Hermes PJs too, IIRC? But for me, Derek Rose are enough of a step up over the more typical M&S pairs, without being really silly money. After all, you're unconscious for most of the time you're wearing them, so I don't think it's worth spending vast amounts on them! :)

Hampton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah you are so right. Oh no Hermes pj's and that kind of stuff is way out of my league, don't have that kind of cash. But I found a really nice silk robe from RLPL on ebay for around $300 in paisley that looked so awesome, but unfortunately to big :(

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Linen pajamas are the best of the washables to my mind. They get very soft over time, and last longer than cotton. Your shirtmaker can run them up, or Derek Rose usually has a pair or two in its seasonal collection.

Zimmerli's voile pajamas cost about the same as Rose and the quality of the cloth gives them an exceptionally nice feel. And a step down but still well made, are their jersey pjs.

Itsuo

Reaction score
I saw some Derek Rose offerings on Mrporter.com amd they look great. I seem to remember Drakes used to offer some great looking sleep wear but that appears to be over now.

I'm new to this and particularly interested in a very warm house robe as I know things will get drafty for me here when winter arrives. I've been on eBay looking for things like DR and BrooksBrothers robes but found nearly all on offer were terry cloth. Is that traditionally just for after bathing?

Does anyone know of places that offer heartier robes? I feel like they would be more popular in Northern Europe. I did find this [=http://www.pendleton-usa.com/produc...ERWOOL-ROBE/166896/sc/1746/c/1746/pc/1814.uts][/] on offer from Pendleton. But I would like to see other options as well.

Quarks

Reaction score
I just purchased a Derek Rose cotton dressing gown. Awaiting for delivery to arrive. 1st purchase. Been browsing around for a dressing gown. Derek rose has that appeal. I guess I will know when it arrives. The silk ones looks really comfy. But so overpriced.
While I was in NYC, came across Stefano Ricci silk dressing gown, cashmere lined. Jaw droppin' paisley design, so elegant.
Didn't bother enquiring about price on that one.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a BB one that is flannel i bought a few years back. they have a similar one on their website, although it is a different pattern. I happen to use it as a dressing gown or a house robe (i am usually wearing a shirt and tie under it when i work from home) as well as lounging in my sleeping cap and gown into the evening hours. I have found that the brooks pajamas are very nice, but a bit pricey.I own several sets (gowns and 2 piece button down sets), they have yet to wear out, and i have owned the oldest for 3 years i believe. you can find cheaper (and certainly more expensive) but they wont last as long. I had a black brown (Lord and Taylor's house brand) set given to me as a gift and they were very nice but degraded quickly and only lasted a few months. YMMV however

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I had this silk dressing gown made for myself. Would you buy this if I sold it for $250?

I will be selling cotton pajamas in a month or two.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I had this silk dressing gown made for myself. Would you buy this if I sold it for $250?

I will be selling cotton pajamas in a month or two.
Yes, I would consider it as I'm actually looking for something like that. The big caveat, however, would be if you offered real sizes. Too often I will find something I like at a decent price only to see "S/M" and "L/XL" as possible sizes. Even "S" is usually huge. I'm considering just having something made up as it isn't a complicated design.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had this silk dressing gown made for myself. Would you buy this if I sold it for $250?</p>

I will be selling cotton pajamas in a month or two.</p>

I'd be interested.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It can be made in any of the silk brocade fabrics that I offer as pocket squares:

I hope you like dragons!

They're custom made with measurements taken for shoulder width, sleeve length, and total length. I'll be traveling for a month or two soon so you need to pay for it by Oct 20. Please mail [email protected]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads