• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Shorts styles

HowardB

Reaction score
Why do men's shorts and swim trunks seem to get more baggy and longer every year? Before too long they will be wide enough to park a car under and as long as regular pants. Is it only in America where men are afraid to show their legs?
confused.gif

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
It's just a recent trend driven by the hip-hop crowd. I think cargo shorts are sloppy and rarely useful.

I also hate how it's impossible to find athletic shorts which don't grab at your knees.

But....... a lot of guys have skinny legs and need the extra coverage.

HowardB

Reaction score
I agree completely. It has reached the point where I refuse to buy them and make my own street shorts. Athletic shorts? No such thing. Too long, too loose. They need to be at least a few inches above the knee to be able to move comfortably. If they were the right length, they are still too baggy and could become a privacy issue.
You are right about the skinny guys. But the big shorts make them look even more so.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys should look into soccer shorts for athletic shorts. They usually come an inch or two above the knee. Check for stuff made by adidas, umbro, lotto, puma, kappa, etc. These brands are readily available.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael Jordan started the big, long look in basketball shorts which eventually spread to all shorts. He has abnormally skinny legs and he had his Bulls shorts custom made to disguise that fact.

Then he began losing his hair so he shaved his head. How many people shaved their heads before MJ started doing it? Kojak, Slick Watts, Yul Brenner and Mr. Clean.

Just think if MJ hadn't shaved his head and instead went with the fringe on the side. Would he have attained the same level of Icon status?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I actually like baggy cargo shorts and their ilk. Not ridiculous baggy, but loose and about at the knee. I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing short shorts in a casual street-type environment. Maybe it's cause I wear short athletic socks and the combo of short shorts and short socks would just show way too much of my smashing legs
inlove.gif
Interestingly, I hate big baggy swimwear. I like the small, square cut boxer type swimwear that RL does for Purple Label. Go figure.

Demeter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Michael Jordan started the big, long look in basketball shorts which eventually spread to all shorts. He has abnormally skinny legs and he had his Bulls shorts custom made to disguise that fact.

Then he began losing his hair so he shaved his head. How many people shaved their heads before MJ started doing it? Kojak, Slick Watts, Yul Brenner and Mr. Clean.

Just think if MJ hadn't shaved his head and instead went with the fringe on the side. Would he have attained the same level of Icon status?

Haha, I never knew that. Now who made it cool to wear your pants around your ankles?

But really, I prefer something a bit longer, though not below the knees. Anything longer looks like capris, anything shorter looks like something Bob Saget would wear in hot pink. It's either that or speedos for me, though only when I'm back home. I think you get more odd stares from people if you're wearing shorts there than if you're wearing speedos here.

HowardB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meaculpa
Haha, I never knew that. Now who made it cool to wear your pants around your ankles?

But really, I prefer something a bit longer, though not below the knees. Anything longer looks like capris, anything shorter looks like something Bob Saget would wear in hot pink. It's either that or speedos for me, though only when I'm back home. I think you get more odd stares from people if you're wearing shorts there than if you're wearing speedos here.

The pants below the rear do look even more rediculous than the current short style.
I must be the Bob Saget type. I like my shorts 6 or 7 inches above the knee. Keep a better looking tan that way.
You are right about the odd stares here. I usually wear ones 4 to 5 inches on the street. Had a couple guys wearing their pants hanging off their butts snickering at me in a mall once with the short ones. Great ones to talk, eh?

Like you, I also prefer speedos. And everyone at the shore seem cool with them. Go figure.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Otis Sistruck (sp?). Curly Neal. Maybe Alex Karros in Blazing Saddles

Otis Sistrunk, University of Mars. Mongo had hair and curly wasn't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics