• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Shirts

lockey2k

Reaction score
Who makes the best men's dress shirts for about $100 a shirt? (Slim fit)

Some makers I've considered
- Pink
- Charles Tyrwhitt
- Brooks Bros.
- Valentino (via discount store)
- YSL (via discount store)
- Hugo Boss
- Bergdorf Goodman house label
- Dunhill

Is it worth going up to $200 a shirt? Thoughts and comments welcome.

One thought is to wait until Harvie & Hudson show up in New York and get some bespoke shirts. Thoughts on cost and like?

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of forum members like J. Crew and Lands End shirts. Also, there is Jantzen of Hong Kong that does mtm shirts for about $50. Also, the discount malls sometimes have Borrelli, Brioni, Kiton, Loro Piana, etc for $100 to $200.

Millerp

Reaction score
If you are in New York, you might consider visiting
Carl at CEGO.

http://cego.com/

He posts as Shirtmaven in this forum.

Prices start at around $125 - $130

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted this on the thread about suits.

For $80-120/shirt call Michael Sahi or email him @:

Michael's Custom Clothes
13757 Ventura Blvd.,
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
818/981-5738
www.suitmaker.com
[email protected]

I have had 11 suits and 45 shirts made by him (all MTM) Thousands of shirt fabrics. I usually get sea island cotton with french cuffs. I have gotten the whole palette of colors and stripes. you can tailor the style and cut of your shirts (I am very picky about my shoulders). I am very pleased. He travels the country often and will be in your neck of the woods within a few months. Takes about 4-6 weeks, with suits and shirts made in HK.

lockey2k

Reaction score
In men's fashion, do labels actually = quality? If so, what shirts should I be on the look out for in men's shirt dept?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lockey2k
In men's fashion, do labels actually = quality? If so, what shirts should I be on the look out for in men's shirt dept?

Labels= design details. It does not mean that you are buying an inferrior product. But you are paying for design details as well as an advertising campaign.

Carl

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Millerp
If you are in New York, you might consider visiting
Carl at CEGO.

http://cego.com/

He posts as Shirtmaven in this forum.

Prices start at around $125 - $130

0008-0408-0708-0736_SM.jpg

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Go to an outlet mall, and get some Borrelli; by far the best RTW shirt, IMO.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I'd say CEGO is overall the best deal for that price range. You can also try Jantzen, where the main matter is just getting your measurements correct and settling on like a million options.

JordanB

Reaction score
In that price range, definitely go to CEGO. Higher quality than anything at that price range, plus it will fit you better.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no such thing as a genuinely slim fit (relative to a normal body) in any OTR brand worth considering. You're best bet is discount MTM.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on your body type.
IMO, there is no difference between generic Made in Italy dress shirt and Brioni. I have looked at number of super premium RTW shirts. Most designers will cater to 50+ overweight men, as they are majority of their clientele, hence a baggy fit.
In terms of craftsmanship, not much you can do in a RTW shirt other than use proper materials.
I buy my shirts at TJ Max, Filenes. They have decent selection of dress shirts made in Italy of premium cotton. Then I give them to my tailor who for 15 /shirt makes it fit me the way I like it (French seam included).
Total $35 a shirt.
Then again, I have average body type and most shirts fit me fine except on the sides.

lockey2k

Reaction score
I picked up a Canali shirt at FB for $125 and had the sleeves tailored. Should I follow this route or go with Cego?

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lockey2k
I picked up a Canali shirt at FB for $125 and had the sleeves tailored. Should I follow this route or go with Cego?

Go whichever way leads you to the fit you desire. Only you can make that decision; the members here can only suggest, but you must make the decision. Carl's shirts will definitely fit better than Canali. Any bespoke/MTM shirt will.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads