Men's Scarves, Ascots & Neckerchiefs - photos, discussion, inspiration

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Apr 2, 2011.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. GusW

3. GusW

4. GusW

5. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Senior member

Hi Guys. I could use some help here. My concern is not to come off looking ghey (no offense to those of you who are ghey). In some of the examples the scarfs look pretty masculine, in other cases feminine. Some of those example with Cary Grant I would have said seemed affected to me, but then again he's Cary Grant, so I might have to rethink that. There are some Hermes Scarfs that I have really liked, but I didn't buy them for that reason. I have looked at other threads where Hermes scarves on guys in particular were discussed, with the general consensus was it was OK, but then when I saw the pictures I didn't buy the idea. Maybe it is the fabric. cotton=masculine, silk=feminine? Below is a scarf that sold for about $140 that I was pretty tempted to go for. I like ascots. Pictured below is a drakes square I wear on occasion as an ascot. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BlackShoes

BlackShoes Senior member

I went for a twice around ascot with my college scarf today, tucked into a Harrington jacket, it was good.

7. GusW

My suggestion PT would be to follow Cary Grant and knot it rather than wearing it with an ascot fold. That is what I do when I wear mine and it just seems a bit more manly and less dandy, especially when worn with a sweater. The ascot fold seems to get "where is your smoking jacket" comments. Whereas, when I wear mine knotted, no one says anything, but I get invited to cool parties with artists, designers, writers. It just seems to send off the right vibe. I have a purple/blue cashmere/silk lightweight neckerchief, with small off-white dots, that is 26 inches square that is perfect for this. [​IMG] Here is a picture of Will wearing his knotted. The only difference is that I avoid 100% silk because, to me, it looks a little too shiny and I tuck the ends into my shirt after I knot it. The cashmere silk blend or cotton or linen just seem to work best for me. [​IMG] That Drakes print scarf would be perfect with a knot and just a bit showing around your neck and with a solid blue shirt. Post some more photos after you try some different knots.

8. AE7

AE7 Senior member

Great thread! Can anyone help me out? Looking for a scarf for a warmer spring/summer days. One of the prospected functions is to save from heat the back of the neck when its hot and/or provide additional layering for chilly nights. Contemplating between Cashmere, Linen, Cotton, Silk... Opinions? Thanks ! And as an input: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. GusW

[​IMG]

This guy wore his knotted at the neck and it worked for him.

10. Fantastic Mr Foxx

Fantastic Mr Foxx Senior member

- Dude, you need to start a tumblr-blog:

fuckyeahmensscarves.tumblr.com
    meninscarves.tumblr.com
    menwearingscarves.tumblr.com

Just sayin'

11. Fantastic Mr Foxx

Fantastic Mr Foxx Senior member

12. Yorsch

Yorsch Well-Known Member

Can't go without Tom Ford [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Can't go without Tom Ford

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First one looks great, the second looks like he's playing dress-up as a tougher dude.

14. GusW

the second looks like he's playing dress-up ........

Cuz he is ....

15. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Great thread! Can anyone help me out? Looking for a scarf for a warmer spring/summer days. One of the prospected functions is to save from heat the back of the neck when its hot and/or provide additional layering for chilly nights. Contemplating between Cashmere, Linen, Cotton, Silk... Opinions?
    Linen, wool and silk: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Cotton, wool and silk: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]