• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Neckwear: Why do you choose what you choose?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am thinking about starting a Men's Neckwear line and had a few questions for my fellow dressy peers. When purchasing a tie, what are the deciding factors in buying a tie?

I have a little over 100 ties and find myself buying them for various reasons, but wanted to get an idea of what is important to others.

Along with price, I personally love design and color.

Thoughts?

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
whether they will be SF-approved or not

that is to say, if they've been endorsed by StyleForum iCelebrities

Last edited:
Reaction score
Huh, I guess that makes sense. Who are these iCelebrities? I demand to speak to them now!
biggrin.gif

I guess the good thing is that SF seems to be a really good spot to receive advice. I have been a lurker for a while and over the past year have seen many come to the rescue of noobs such as myself.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As with everything clothing-related, it's fabric, construction, fit, and price. Fit-wise, I look for ties that are 3.5" wide. I can maybe deviate .25" from this, especially on the downside, but any farther and it's a deal-breaker. Construction-wise, I like untipped ties with some nice hand-rolled edges.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a fan of 3.5 wide ties as well, mostly silk ties, favourite cheap place is Tie Rack, favourite expensive place Bulgari, both very easy to find in Hong Kong

Reaction score
Thats interesting, I prefer 3-3.25 wide ties, though I have my fair share of 3.5.
May I ask why you guys prefer the 3.5 wide tie?

As with everything clothing-related, it's fabric, construction, fit, and price. Fit-wise, I look for ties that are 3.5" wide. I can maybe deviate .25" from this, especially on the downside, but any farther and it's a deal-breaker. Construction-wise, I like untipped ties with some nice hand-rolled edges.

I am a fan of 3.5 wide ties as well, mostly silk ties, favourite cheap place is Tie Rack, favourite expensive place Bulgari, both very easy to find in Hong Kong

Thats interesting, I prefer tie 3.25 wide ties, though I have my fair share of 3.5.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am also a fan of ties that are 3.5 inches wide (I don't like really skinny ties). Construction is important, as some ties make a better knot than others. I prefer woven silk ties over prints. Also, I don't like ties in materials other than silk (such as cashmere or wool). I am generally not a fan of floral designs on ties, although on a rare occasion if the color and design work with a suit I might buy one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is interesting, seeing as how I have my own fair share of 3.5 ties, I prefer the 3.25 ties but can definitely go down to 3.

Any reason why you dont prefer the skinnies? But then again 3.5 is just classic and timeless

I am also a fan of ties that are 3.5 inches wide (I don't like really skinny ties). Construction is important, as some ties make a better knot than others. I prefer woven silk ties over prints. Also, I don't like ties in materials other than silk (such as cashmere or wool). I am generally not a fan of floral designs on ties, although on a rare occasion if the color and design work with a suit I might buy one.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having a small number of ties, I look for versatility. That may change if I wear ties to work but for now, I have about 10 ties that need to cover all situations. So solids and simple patterns. 3.25" is my preferred width since it can work with skinnier and wider lapels. I love textured ties like wool or grenadine.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having a decently large amount of ties, I look for ties that I like. Really, just color and pattern that I like. I'm willing to compromise width and supposed quality (I have not noticed huge differences in tie quality above a certain minimal standard).

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wonder if I am alone here, but if I see a gorgeous tie but it's an inferior brand, I won't buy it. I have faith in certain names and I stick to those.

Reaction score
I have never been one to nitpick because of brand, but I do agree with quality. What do you consider as inferior? Usually good branding and good quality go hand in hand, but sometimes, thats not the case.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing narrower than 3.75 in (9.525 cm)
Must be an overall pattern/ stripe or solid.

Drudged

Reaction score
I tend to prefer ties with tails that are a little wider, allowing for a somewhat elongated knot on the FIH (or double FIH, depending on the silk's thickness). Other than that, malleability is quite important for achieving a successful dimple. For width, I tend to stick to 3.25" - 3.5", but will stray if there is a particular pattern or color that I like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads