• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IEG

Reaction score
3592ED2A-97CD-4827-9BB2-CF274B9A520D.jpeg

Derby Day!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just ordered this nice looking trilby from Christy's. The base colour is deep grey. Can I safely wear it with all colours or are their some to avoid? These days, I only dress casually. With thanks, Munky.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Hat etiquette question: is it necessary to remove newsboy cap when you are indoor?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have just ordered this nice looking trilby from Christy's. The base colour is deep grey. Can I safely wear it with all colours or are their some to avoid? These days, I only dress casually. With thanks, Munky.

View attachment 1191047
You're good for most anything. Just don't wear it if you're wearing a dark grey suit too similar in color!
Hat etiquette question: is it necessary to remove newsboy cap when you are indoor?
You don't need to take a hat off in public spaces (elevator, coffee shop, stores, etc). You should be polite and remove in private spaces regardless of the hat type, short of for religious or medical reasons. (Homes, someone's office, church, etc)

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're good for most anything. Just don't wear it if you're wearing a dark grey suit too similar in color!

You don't need to take a hat off in public spaces (elevator, coffee shop, stores, etc). You should be polite and remove in private spaces regardless of the hat type, short of for religious or medical reasons. (Homes, someone's office, church, etc)

In ‘The Apartment’ Shirley MacLaine compliments Jack Lemon as the only one in the office polite enough to remove his hat in the lift.

In ‘Mad Men’ Draper aggressively forced a young punk to take his hat off in the lift.

It may be an archaic convention lost to history now but I think gentleman used to remove their hats in the lift if a lady entered. I have a vague memory of my Mam telling me this too.

As for ‘newsboy cap’ the type of hat should be irrelevant.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In ‘The Apartment’ Shirley MacLaine compliments Jack Lemon as the only one in the office polite enough to remove his hat in the lift.

In ‘Mad Men’ Draper aggressively forced a young punk to take his hat off in the lift.

It may be an archaic convention lost to history now but I think gentleman used to remove their hats in the lift if a lady entered. I have a vague memory of my Mam telling me this too.

As for ‘newsboy cap’ the type of hat should be irrelevant.
That sounds appropriate, and I think I recall similar. The main points I intended to point out the hat type is irrelevant but that there are public spaces where a hat is still acceptable.

Captain O

Reaction score
I'm going to spend 5 1/2 days in Tijuana, Mexico. (From August, 20th through the morning of the 26th). I'll be seen in my Panama and a light gray silk sports jacket and black slacks all over Avenida Revolucion as well as the beach.

Wish me an unprecedented good time upon my adventure.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to spend 5 1/2 days in Tijuana, Mexico. (From August, 20th through the morning of the 26th). I'll be seen in my Panama and a light gray silk sports jacket and black slacks all over Avenida Revolucion as well as the beach.

Wish me an unprecedented good time upon my adventure.
Sounds like a grand adventure!

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
For something slightly different...

I had sent my oldest hat back to the hatter who made it (Art Fawcett of VS Custom Hats) for me roughly eleven years ago. Although in fair condition, it was showing some wear, especially the faded and stained ribbon, slightly tapering crown and loose inner lining. After renovation, it looks quite refreshed.

The bow and ribbon in front of it are the originals from 2008, which were replaced. I usually wear it with a center dent, but as it's being put away for the summer, I'll be leaving it open until I take it out to wear in the fall.

I'm a little worried about the future; Mr. Fawcett is retiring this year and likely to cease taking commissions in July or August, so I'm left wondering whom I'll look to in ten or so more years.

That sounds appropriate, and I think I recall similar. The main points I intended to point out the hat type is irrelevant but that there are public spaces where a hat is still acceptable.

I always remove my hat in an elevator if sharing it with anybody else. I don't recall my source for that 'rule', but it's an easy enough and polite enough convention to follow. Truth be told, most people won't much care when you take your hat off or fail to; they'll mostly be surprised, or confused, that you're wearing one at all.

Captain O

Reaction score
If you want a new hat, look to www.northwesthats.com. Mike Miller will be more than glad to provide you with excellent service concerning both rabbit and beaver fur felt hats.

Tell him Captain Obvious sent you.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many thanks, Madhat. Regards, M.

Last edited:

ElephantHistorian

Reaction score
Hello! I was wondering where I could find this specific hat. It is the prisoner hat from the movie "The Last Emperor." Note the side flaps and beret style top.
Help would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks,
EH

Attachments

• IMG_7023.jpg
    IMG_7023.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 233

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads