• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is for year-round questions, comments, sharing , photos for men's hats.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How to Care For Your Hat

I visited San Francisco’s oldest haberdashery, Cable Car Clothiers, to meet with the proprietor, Jonathan Levin and to get some tips on men’s hats and hat care. He shared the following based upon the stores 74 years of history in hats and menswear.

- When putting on a hat or adjusting it, handle it by the front and back brim, never by the crown.

- Do not pick up a hat/fedora by the pinch; it will misshape it over time. A straw fedora will crack and a felt hat may split the seam.

- Touch your hat with clean hands; oils from your hands may stain a light hat

- Always hang a hat. If no hook is available store it by inverting it and placing it on its crown. Placing a hat on its brim may flatten or cause a hat to loose its curve, especially if wet.

- Do not leave a hat in a car or in the sun as humidity may cause any hat material to lose shape, shrink or distort.

- Hats of any material may be sensitive to prolonged exposure to direct sunlight causing colors to fade.

- Brush your hat periodically with a soft brush.

When Purchasing A Hat

- Seek out a quality hat store where someone with experience can guide you through the options that most compliment your complexion, shape of your face and needs.

- Look for hats that have a specific size and avoid S, M, L, XL for the best fit and comfort.

- Sizing will vary by manufacturer and even among the same hats. So, don’t rely upon the tag size. Only trying on the hat will assure you of the best possible fit.

By The Way…

Panama hats aren’t made in Panama. When the Panama Canal was being built, this was the most popular style of hat on the project. The name “Panama” thus became forever linked to these hand woven straw hats from Ecuador.

Cable Car Clothiersis located at 110 Sutter Street, Suite 108, San Francisco, CA 94104. Phone 415 397-4740 or you can see a sampling of their hats at www.cablecarclothiers.com

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Panama Hat - With San Francisco temperatures in the high 70’s yesterday it was the ideal time to select a hat for Spring and Summer. Like most guys, I have plenty of baseball caps. But, there are times when something a bit more dressy is required and appreciated. I headed over to Cable Car Clothiers to meet owner Jon Levin and peruse the stores extensive inventory of quality hats.

The process of trying on hats is fun and experimental. Yet, when you find the right one, you know it….it just “works”. I settled on this ivory colored (called “bleach”) Ibarra model Stetson. The “skin” is hand woven in Ecuador and the finish work including a partial lining and full leather band is completed in Houston, Tx. The interior proudly says,” John B. Stetson Company, Made In USA, GENUINE PANAMA”.

As I left the store wearing my new hat people looked at me and smiled. A gentleman told me I looked “dapper”, the barber said I was “looking sharp” and the waitress who brought me my gin & tonic said, “I like men in hats”. I think I’m going to enjoy this…

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is a great thread. I love wearing a hat.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Subscribed! I'll eventually get some shots of some of mine. I was considering stopping by the shop to take a look at a new Panama, so maybe I can get some shots of those as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads