• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tweedlover

Reaction score
Thanks. Its difficult for me to wear proper outfits lately for what this hat deserves. Pandemic, hot weather, casual wear....
Well, I'd agree that felt fedoras require cooler temperatures for comfort.. Though, as to styles, they can look fine with casual depending on what you're putting on.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually agree but currently I am still wearing light chinos/polos as the temperature here is 31° C, so the autum has not arrived yet here. I will have to wait a bit to wear them with some light frannels and sport coats. Heat and humidity in this part of the mediterranean last eight/nine months so panamas make more sense.

windriver

Reaction score
Cap styles and specific names help requested. I am looking for a newsboy type flat cap. Something traditional in a tweed perhaps. I see some of these where the bill is exposed by a maybe 3/8th of an inch, i.e. the top of the bill is exposed. Others, only the front (forward facing) part of the bill is exposed and the top of the bill is covered. They are even as so to speak. I think I prefer the "even" look. Is there a name for this "even" style? I have been looking at a few Wigens Harris caps and they all expose the top of the bill... maybe I could get used to it..... I have enclosed a crude picture for reference/explanation. Are there different origins for these two different styles? Thanks for any help!
hat.JPG

Edit - I hope this is ok to post here as it is not a true hat. Mods please remove this if it is not appropriate.

Last edited:

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a pretty good write-up of different styles:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cap styles and specific names help requested. I am looking for a newsboy type flat cap. Something traditional in a tweed perhaps. I see some of these where the bill is exposed by a maybe 3/8th of an inch, i.e. the top of the bill is exposed. Others, only the front (forward facing) part of the bill is exposed and the top of the bill is covered. They are even as so to speak. I think I prefer the "even" look. Is there a name for this "even" style? I have been looking at a few Wigens Harris caps and they all expose the top of the bill... maybe I could get used to it..... I have enclosed a crude picture for reference/explanation. Are there different origins for these two different styles? Thanks for any help!

Edit - I hope this is ok to post here as it is not a true hat. Mods please remove this if it is not appropriate.

I could be wrong...I'm not an expert although I wear such hats exclusively.

In the photo, the hat on the left almost looks like a flat cap--there appears to be a seam running towards the back of the cap. Flat caps tend to be pretty small across.

Some 8 panel newsboys are also small. But I have found that when the cap is 10" or more across, the issue of the cap covering the bill almost becomes beside-the-point.

Too small across and there is a tension set up from the back of the cap to the button-- and that pulls it backwards and off the bill.

Other than that, some newsboys are buttoned, some are sewn. The sewn ones tend to be as in the right side of the photo.

Be aware... if the cap body isn't even with the bill, any razor blades you put under there will not be functional.

:crackup:

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only style of hat that remotely suits me I think.
318794EA-7A14-4162-92DB-E4DEB19A5620.jpeg

stendec

Reaction score
I've just gotten into wearing hats again. Though maybe not as refined, I really like baseball caps. I like the long bill which helps shade my eyes and it feels more comfortable to me style-wise. Something more classic like a fedora or newsboy cap would feel like too much of a stretch for me right now.

However, most baseball caps I've found are covered in logos and use cheap cotton twills. I've done some searching for some kind of "classic-menswear-meets-baseball-cap" but haven't turned up much. For example, looking at a brand like Borsalino, all their caps seem either too plain or too edgy for my taste.
1633445684833.png

I've also looked at other brands like Ebbets, Drakes, Zegna, etc, but haven't found anything that gets me excited. I guess I'm looking for a hat made of wool or linen suiting fabrics, like a beautiful suit for my head.

Any suggestions for where to find a "classic-menswear-meets-baseball-cap"?

Last edited:

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just gotten into wearing hats again. Though maybe not as refined, I really like baseball caps. I like the long bill which helps shade my eyes and it feels more comfortable to me style-wise. Something more classic like a fedora or newsboy cap would feel like too much of a stretch for me right now.

However, most baseball caps I've found are covered in logos and use cheap cotton twills. I've done some searching for some kind of "classic-menswear-meets-baseball-cap" but haven't turned up much. For example, looking at a brand like Borsalino, all their caps seem either too plain or too edgy for my taste.
View attachment 1680384
I've also looked at other brands like Ebbets, Drakes, Zegna, etc, but haven't found anything that gets me excited. I guess I'm looking for a hat made of wool or linen suiting fabrics, like a beautiful suit for my head.

Any suggestions for where to find a "classic-menswear-meets-baseball-cap"?
Some options:

stendec

Reaction score
Some options:

These suggestions are beautiful and very much what I'm looking for. I feel especially drawn towards the Lock Hatters patterned designs. Thank you!

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Calanon

Reaction score
Which hat do you all think looks better?

Captain O

Reaction score
Which hat do you all think looks better?

My taste runs toward the Berkely Fedora. (JMHO).

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hats are so personal it’s impossible to say on two similar styles like this. It’s down to which one YOU like and which you think suits you better. You really need to try them on if you can.

Separate question for panama experts …

I used to have a pork pie made by Stetson. I THINK it had that feint “genuine Panama made in Ecuador” stamp on the inside but can’t be sure. This was my vacation hat which I wore for many years but it never quite fitted me right so I recently sold it on eBay.
Looking for a replacement now that fits better. My old hat was whiter than a more traditional / formal straw Panama and had a slightly plasticky feel to it, a bit like those resistol cowboy hats you see. I didn’t mind this as it made it a bit more shower / splash proof than a traditional straw Panama, perfect for when on holiday. I understand that this may have been ‘shantung’ but some brief research seems to reveal that there are straw shantungs and other hats which are ‘shantung’ but really made of sprayed paper, not jippijappi straw leaves as genuine panamas are. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I’m tempted by this Stetson Reward which seems to have mixed reviews and following my own advice would have to try it first …

CED42FCD-4505-4ADB-AD63-F366F80152FE.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads