• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Captain O

Reaction score
Thanks that wasn’t even intentional but I don’t mind it!
I have a more conventional Panama fedora which I use for more formal occasions (outdoor weddings etc) and used to have a Stetson porkpie in shantung Panama which I used for years on holidays and at the beach but it never really fit me and the brim wasn’t broad enough to do much good. I recently sold it on eBay and looked to replace it with a Cuenca Panama and remembered J. Crew sell them so found this one cheap on eBay. It was new with tags but I think it got slightly bashed in transit and I just left it like that!

Incidentally for Panama wearers - NEVER grab your hat by the front pinch, ALWAYS grab it by the brims. Grabbing it at the pinch will break the fibres at their weakest most stressed point. It’s already happening on this hat so I poured a generous blob of that white school glue on the inside to strengthen it there.
In the following pics ...

One of many pajamas I own, this is my first snd more formal of the regular beige straw versions bought in person from JJ’s on 5th Avenue in NYC summer 2002 when I met my mate there to see The Who at MSG. Aqua hat band bought there many years later as the original black grosgrain is too severe IMO

In the second pic you can see the glue I added to the J Crew hat.

The third pic is one of five ‘Bowery’ panamas I got from JJs - (gold, sage, raspberry, coffee, dusty blue) showing the reinforcement they put on the inner crease to avoid the issue of breaking the fibres at the pinch.
View attachment 1616385 View attachment 1616386 View attachment 1616387

Anyone that doesn't adjust his hat by grasping the brim has been watching too many TV programs. Any hatter in the world would tell you to grasp your hat by the brim to present the crown from collecting dirt and grime. This is the fastest way I know to require sending your cover to the haberdasher/hatter to have the hat cleaned and blocked.

I'm sorry, but I thought that nearly everyone that routinely wears headgear knew this.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone that doesn't adjust his hat by grasping the brim has been watching too many TV programs. Any hatter in the world would tell you to grasp your hat by the brim to present the crown from collecting dirt and grime. This is the fastest way I know to require sending your cover to the haberdasher/hatter to have the hat cleaned and blocked.

I'm sorry, but I thought that nearly everyone that routinely wears headgear knew this.
Funny thing about that, they tell you don't grab by the crown, but in the same breath they are usually saying that grabbing it by the brim is also detrimental! Guess we're supposed to bone up on telekinesis!

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have posted this one a few times now, but this Panama from @gshen is excellent. The weave is great, and the band is in Shantung silk. Really glad I ordered this one.
1622150430703.png

-DL

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mr monty and @Captain O ... thank you gentlemen. It's a Paoloni coat bought for cheap, but the faux fur collar makes wonders for my aging cervicals in cold days.

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
Stephen Temkin has formally announced that he has retired from hatmaking so that he may move onto other interests. Happily, he will be transferring his studio and materials as well as some training to a new hatter, who I hope will continue Leon Drexler's distinctive offerings. (I would hope for a refurbishment service some day too; I'm honestly not sure anybody else has even heard of the flange used to make my Milaner)

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put in a deposit for my second Wellema hat: this time a Milan straw weave. Much cheaper than the mink-blend navy fedora I had originally made, but I am excited to have a warm weather hat. My guess is I won't get it in time for much of the warm season in the midwest, but it'll be in hand and ready for next year (and any warm weather vacations, pending COVID)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads