• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Miles R.

Reaction score
So with the winter coming up, what hats do you normally break out to stay warm?
I wear the same felt fedoras from autumn through spring. I don't feel the need for anything else on the coldest days. On such days it is not in the crown of the head that I feel the need for additional protection but in the neck, the ears, and the back of the head. These I protect with scarves, Ear Pops, and turning up my coat collar, respectively.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
So with the winter coming up, what hats do you normally break out to stay warm?
I also mostly wear the same felt hats as in autumn but I do have a cheap, market stall light grey hat that is in a particularly thick wool felt and is good for what passes for a very cold day in southern England.
I’m considering a panel cap this winter; something tweedy.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Will you please express what you mean in words?
Ear pops is probably a local term that doesn’t translate for him. I certainly have never heard the term, but I assume you’re referring to ear muffs or a head band of some sort.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will you please express what you mean in words?
Ear pops is probably a local term that doesn’t translate for him. I certainly have never heard the term, but I assume you’re referring to ear muffs or a head band of some sort.

I too guess that ear pops are something like what @madhat says and, while I think that a scarf or a raised collar are some smart and viable option against cold, I'm not so sure I'd wear ear muffs in public.

Miles R.

Reaction score
I too guess that ear pops are something like what @madhat says and, while I think that a scarf or a raised collar are some smart and viable option against cold, I'm not so sure I'd wear ear muffs in public.
They are bandless ear covers. https://www.earpops.com/page/about

Ear pops.jpg

Miles R.

Reaction score
Interesting concept. Those would actually work well for my chilly/windy morning runs when it’s still to warm for a balaclava or beanie
Keeping the wind off is their main strength. When the temperature gets below about 20 ºF, they are better than nothing, and will keep your ears from being frostbitten, but you'll still have cold ears. They are easy to put on and take off, but one needs to take care in bending the plastic shell that makes them "pop" into place, as it eventually wears out and breaks. I discovered them by chance in Marshall Field's in Chicago (R.I.P.) about thirty years ago and have been wearing them ever since. [Edited to add: I mean buying and wearing pairs of the product, not wearing the same pair!]

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also find that the ears are the worst part of it. Normally it doesn't bother me so much if I'll not be spending too long outdoors, but for extra cold days I still favour hats that will cover the ears such as toques or fur ushankas.

On other days I do like tweed flat caps. What I really wish is that winter hats would come back for the ladies - there used to be such stylish choices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads