• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
And the other day...

1905an.jpg

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd only question the striped shirt ... all the rest is truly dapper

johnnymiz

Reaction score
Normally, I would go with a white button down......and that was my first thought, too. But then, that shirt casuals up ( is that even a verb? Hahaha) the look and he caught the colors in the tie and square. I dont know if I would do it, but I do like it. Again, I say well done.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are people's views on wearing a fur felt fedora in the (British) summer? Oh, and with casual clothes? I have a light blue one and a beige one that I think would work but I welcome thoughts on this. Yours, Munky

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are people's views on wearing a fur felt fedora in the (British) summer? Oh, and with casual clothes? I have a light blue one and a beige one that I think would work but I welcome thoughts on this. Yours, Munky
I say go for it.
I have a selection of Panamas for the summer but I live in Florida where you need that lightweight breeziness. Since summers in England are a lot more temperate then a lighter coloured fedora would probably be fine. Be prepared to stand out as there won’t’ be many brimmed hat wearers! I’d be more concerned about getting a felt hat wet or having the wind blow it away in the English summer.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say go for it.
I have a selection of Panamas for the summer but I live in Florida where you need that lightweight breeziness. Since summers in England are a lot more temperate then a lighter coloured fedora would probably be fine. Be prepared to stand out as there won’t’ be many brimmed hat wearers! I’d be more concerned about getting a felt hat wet or having the wind blow it away in the English summer.
Thanks for this, Thin. You are spot on about the climate. I have already lost my favourite trilby to the wind. I am going to try the fedora idea. I have Panamas too but the wind tends to take care of those as well - and often pushes the brims out of kilter. No, there aren't too many brimmed hat wearers here but I have got used to either the occasional compliment or the frequent odd stare. Thanks again. M.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It does depend on the temperature. If its shirt sleeve weather, and over 25 degrees, a fur felt will bring on a perspiration to the head, which necessitates the absorption somehow of the sweat. It could be done with a handkerchief, but if it is a prolonged heat, then I guess you would tend to take the hat off. If the weather is rapidly changing throughout the day, and there are windy or cooler intervals, then a fur felt is fine. Think of the animal it is made out of, and put that on your head to give you an idea - honesty, if a rabbit will be hot, then you will be too!

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does depend on the temperature. If its shirt sleeve weather, and over 25 degrees, a fur felt will bring on a perspiration to the head, which necessitates the absorption somehow of the sweat. It could be done with a handkerchief, but if it is a prolonged heat, then I guess you would tend to take the hat off. If the weather is rapidly changing throughout the day, and there are windy or cooler intervals, then a fur felt is fine. Think of the animal it is made out of, and put that on your head to give you an idea - honesty, if a rabbit will be hot, then you will be too!

Thank you, this is useful. I will order a rabbit :lookaround:. How about Wool felt? My guess is that this would be warmer.

I have often been taken by the fact that cowboys in the US west always seemed to wear big fur felt hats. Presumably they worked (or work) in high temperatures - given that the brims are so wide. Thanks again, Munky

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, this is useful. I will order a rabbit :lookaround:. How about Wool felt? My guess is that this would be warmer.

I have often been taken by the fact that cowboys in the US west always seemed to wear big fur felt hats. Presumably they worked (or work) in high temperatures - given that the brims are so wide. Thanks again, Munky

In the TV shoes they certainly did! Photos of actual cowboys from the 1800’s show a wide variety of hats worn, however.

in more recent times light colored straw versions in the “cowboy hat” shape became, and remain, popular. Functionally, a different shaped Panama, offering sun protection with ventilation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads