1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Calder

Calder Senior member

Certainly down south there are more hats in winter than ever before. I never go to Manchester though, so it could be different up there.

Back in December there was a week when it hit ten below freezing every night for a week though, and that's been the pattern for the past few winters. As I say, it's still unseasonably and bitterly cold here at the moment.

Of course, up in Newcastle it can be minus ten and they won't even wear coats... but that's because geordies are nutters.

1 person likes this.
  2. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Do men wear hats a lot on "Mad Men"? Hasn't the dramatic date of that series been the early to mid-60s? By that time, hats (i.e., men's dress hats) were pretty much history. I have never watched an episode of the popular show, so I'm genuinely curious.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  3. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Post number 56.

4. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Mackem here. My mate from Sheffield came to visit years ago to watch the match when they were in our division. He said 'I thought it was a myth but its true. Mackems in the Roker end wearing only a t shirt in November!'

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. GusW

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. GusW

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. GusW

9. GusW

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. GusW

11. GusW

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. GusW

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. GusW

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Tibor

Tibor Senior member

[quote name="bourbonbasted"
    I may be wrong here, but I've never seen a convincing argument to the contrary. Even guys like tibor, that clearly embrace the look fully, still don't sell me on the idea that it can be done well. It marks someone as eccentric rather than stylish or dashing, which goes directly against the decorum that it stands for.[/quote]

I can respect this. I hope one day you meet a young man who convinces you that it is proper.

1 person likes this.
  15. Tibor

Tibor Senior member

You certainly know how to instigate someone by spitting on their soul. I hope your latest insult makes you feel much better about yourself.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  16. Tibor

Tibor Senior member

Gorgous.

1 person likes this.
  17. meister

meister Senior member

You are wrong and the fact hats are coming back as seen in this thread proves it.

1 person likes this.
  18. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

I only recently noted the creation of this thread. I wear hats in winter with formal overcoats as a matter of course, out of necessity (I am bald, and New York winters are cold), and out of a sense of style (the look of a man wearing a suit, a proper overcoat, and a baseball cap is just stupid - and knit caps, as practical as they are, look horrible on me).

Is the look "retro" - yes, undoubtedly.

Do I care? Not very much

Do I look good? I believe that I do.

Is it "costume-y"? I own several fedoras, none of which, I believe, are so outside of the realm of current menswear to look "costume-y", IMHO. I do own a Homburg, which even on its best days (worn with a dark grey Chesterfield topcoat) is costume-y. I accept this, as I believe that, as out-of-touch with current menswear as it may be, I still like it.

Not everyone's face is suited to wear a fedora or other "proper" hat, nor does everyone's general mien work with the look, but for those of us who can wear a hat, there is no better frame for one's face, and it gives one an extra dose of "presence".

FYI - For those of you who are interested, women very much like seeing men in hats - I've been complimented by women on this fact many times.

3 people like this.
  19. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Stated as opinion for the sake of conversation and discussion. We'll see if anyone here can right the ship for me...

20. FillW

FillW Senior member

The problem I see with using a spare chair is that someone might come up and sit down without looking down at it. [​IMG]

There's one guy who wears a freakin' baseball cap every day and all day to work here (this is inside a building). It seems to be part of his work costume and maybe he wears it when he goes home too. (Don't know him at all and he seems pretty weird anyway)

Another guy wears the Gatsby type hat all the time (usually a light grey one) but not inside- usually when he comes and goes. I used to wear one in the '70s because of Bruce Springsteen. My boss said I looked like Redford (I hadn't seen the movie at the time and kind of resented the comment cause I liked Springsteen). lol

I also saw another guy wear a hat that looked something like a cross between a cowboy hat and a fedora.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013