• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions...

tweedlover

Reaction score
Thanks. Its difficult for me to wear proper outfits lately for what this hat deserves. Pandemic, hot weather, casual wear....
Well, I'd agree that felt fedoras require cooler temperatures for comfort.. Though, as to styles, they can look fine with casual depending on what you're putting on.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually agree but currently I am still wearing light chinos/polos as the temperature here is 31° C, so the autum has not arrived yet here. I will have to wait a bit to wear them with some light frannels and sport coats. Heat and humidity in this part of the mediterranean last eight/nine months so panamas make more sense.

windriver

Reaction score
Cap styles and specific names help requested. I am looking for a newsboy type flat cap. Something traditional in a tweed perhaps. I see some of these where the bill is exposed by a maybe 3/8th of an inch, i.e. the top of the bill is exposed. Others, only the front (forward facing) part of the bill is exposed and the top of the bill is covered. They are even as so to speak. I think I prefer the "even" look. Is there a name for this "even" style? I have been looking at a few Wigens Harris caps and they all expose the top of the bill... maybe I could get used to it..... I have enclosed a crude picture for reference/explanation. Are there different origins for these two different styles? Thanks for any help!
hat.JPG

Edit - I hope this is ok to post here as it is not a true hat. Mods please remove this if it is not appropriate.

Last edited:

johng70

Reaction score
Here's a pretty good write-up of different styles:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cap styles and specific names help requested. I am looking for a newsboy type flat cap. Something traditional in a tweed perhaps. I see some of these where the bill is exposed by a maybe 3/8th of an inch, i.e. the top of the bill is exposed. Others, only the front (forward facing) part of the bill is exposed and the top of the bill is covered. They are even as so to speak. I think I prefer the "even" look. Is there a name for this "even" style? I have been looking at a few Wigens Harris caps and they all expose the top of the bill... maybe I could get used to it..... I have enclosed a crude picture for reference/explanation. Are there different origins for these two different styles? Thanks for any help!

Edit - I hope this is ok to post here as it is not a true hat. Mods please remove this if it is not appropriate.

I could be wrong...I'm not an expert although I wear such hats exclusively.

In the photo, the hat on the left almost looks like a flat cap--there appears to be a seam running towards the back of the cap. Flat caps tend to be pretty small across.

Some 8 panel newsboys are also small. But I have found that when the cap is 10" or more across, the issue of the cap covering the bill almost becomes beside-the-point.

Too small across and there is a tension set up from the back of the cap to the button-- and that pulls it backwards and off the bill.

Other than that, some newsboys are buttoned, some are sewn. The sewn ones tend to be as in the right side of the photo.

Be aware... if the cap body isn't even with the bill, any razor blades you put under there will not be functional.

:crackup:

stendec

Reaction score
I've just gotten into wearing hats again. Though maybe not as refined, I really like baseball caps. I like the long bill which helps shade my eyes and it feels more comfortable to me style-wise. Something more classic like a fedora or newsboy cap would feel like too much of a stretch for me right now.

However, most baseball caps I've found are covered in logos and use cheap cotton twills. I've done some searching for some kind of "classic-menswear-meets-baseball-cap" but haven't turned up much. For example, looking at a brand like Borsalino, all their caps seem either too plain or too edgy for my taste.
1633445684833.png

I've also looked at other brands like Ebbets, Drakes, Zegna, etc, but haven't found anything that gets me excited. I guess I'm looking for a hat made of wool or linen suiting fabrics, like a beautiful suit for my head.

Any suggestions for where to find a "classic-menswear-meets-baseball-cap"?

Last edited:

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just gotten into wearing hats again. Though maybe not as refined, I really like baseball caps. I like the long bill which helps shade my eyes and it feels more comfortable to me style-wise. Something more classic like a fedora or newsboy cap would feel like too much of a stretch for me right now.

However, most baseball caps I've found are covered in logos and use cheap cotton twills. I've done some searching for some kind of "classic-menswear-meets-baseball-cap" but haven't turned up much. For example, looking at a brand like Borsalino, all their caps seem either too plain or too edgy for my taste.
View attachment 1680384
I've also looked at other brands like Ebbets, Drakes, Zegna, etc, but haven't found anything that gets me excited. I guess I'm looking for a hat made of wool or linen suiting fabrics, like a beautiful suit for my head.

Any suggestions for where to find a "classic-menswear-meets-baseball-cap"?
Some options:

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.