1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  2. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7 : Suit and Shirt, Courtesy of iTailor

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 7th auction of the year is for a MTM suit and shirt, courtesy of iTailor. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Gus, Apr 11, 2013.

1. IEG

IEG Senior Member

2. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

3. IEG

IEG Senior Member

I wish. The Hattery in Doylestown PA

4. Captain O

Captain O Senior Member

HIstory is just that. Some people love re-telling stories differently. "Hollywierd" is well known for pulling props out of boxes thinking that their portrayal of the Old West is accurate. It isn't.

Modern cattlemen wear larger-brimmed hats loosely based on 19th-century headgear. Today's Western hats are both style and purpose driven. Mostly style-driven as newer hats are more cheaply made The lone exception(s) are custom hatters such as the Watson Hat Company in Cave Creek, Arizona, as well as other higher-end custom hatters.

Today's Stetsons can't hold a candle to those made from the 1880's through the 1960's. If you want a "top-tier" custom Western hat, a Watson will set you back $10,000.00

5. Captain O

Captain O Senior Member

I have picked up three hats. A Stetson "Retro" (grade 3) Panama, a Stetson Haberdash (Shantung straw) and a Jaxon Panama (grade 3). I'll wear one of them to ride on the Greyhound Bus to San Diego (and on to Mexico) and in the stands to watch the bullfights at the Plaza De Toros Monumental at the Playas De Tijuana (Tijuana Beach) 5 1/2 miles east of the San Ysidro Port Of Entry. The bullfights will be held on August 12th.

Ole'!

6. Captain O

Captain O Senior Member

Correction, I'll be heading to Tijuana on August 17th. (I read the wrong date on the Corrida website).

7. Captain O

Captain O Senior Member

Help, I have become a "hat addict" and can't stop buying headgear! I ordered a nice paper/polyester trilby-style hat from Sunday Afternoons. I really can't afford to buy many more hats, but these are great during the "dog days of summer".

8. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

I'm sorry but there doesn't seem to be a treatment or a cure. I came from buying too many shoes to buying hats and now I have 14 of them, mostly from Christys'. I sometimes worry that I will come home to find that my wife has put my suitcase on the doorstep and has changed the locks. Yours, with sympathy, Munky.

9. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Senior Member

Only buy bespoke hats. The custom hatmakers all seem to have backlogs of orders so that throttles the addicition. Custom hats also get you stuck in that too many choices, what should I order mode which adds to delays.

10. Captain O

Captain O Senior Member

Love the casual trilbies that look sharp. (I can't wear all six paper-straw or Toquilla-palm Panamas to the bullring). These will last until I'm gone. When I go back to working on a radio show, I'll wear a Panama during the summer and a European Hare/Beaver bowler or fedora the rest of the year.

God, help me, but I love them all.

11. IEG

IEG Senior Member

BF5F0030-3CFC-4084-A7D1-BD9CAA05CFF7.jpeg
    I have posted this hat previously, this time brim down in front, what do you think of it down?

12. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

It's the way to go!

13. Captain O

Captain O Senior Member

That looks great! Too many younger men dress in little more than a t-shirt and a ball cap. No style, no panache. Mature men have a bit more taste than is in their mouths.

I just received a "Cayman Hat" from Sunday Afternoons in today's mail. Great hot weather cover. The Paper/Polyester blend isn't expensive, but it works well.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018

14. Captain O

Captain O Senior Member

I'll repeat myself at the risk of seeming monotonous:

"Men dressing as adult men... WHAT A CONCEPT!" Class with a bit of flair. Younger men just don't dress right anymore. The "T-shirt and jeans" routine on adult men makes us look the slob. We don't need to look that way. To the devil with looking as if you just got out of bed. Grow up and dress well.

Right?

15. IEG

IEG Senior Member

Right!