Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Men's Hats: A Discussion Thread, Questions, Opinions, Suggestions...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Captain O

Captain O Active Member

Beaver fur felt has a tendency to hold its shape in humid climates. My new Northwest Hats "Whippet" is being made from beaver fur felt.

I want the black beaver fur bowler because the bowler has been my "signature" hat since 1975. It may look out of place in a small town, but the bowler comes across as a bit "dressier" than the fedora hat. I live in a small town 28.75 miles away from a major population center in the Pacific Northwest.

Ball caps and half-rotted teeth are de rigueur in this little burg. While there are educated people in this community, a well-dressed person stands out like a sore thumb.

I was online today and purchased a "vintage" Royal Stetson, brown, "V" dent, fedora with a 1.75"(?) brim and a 5-inch tall crown. I paid $14.95 + 9.25 shipping. (Personally, I think that I scored)!

This is a beautiful old hat of good quality that will enhance my collection.

2. Munky

Munky Senior member

A tip I picked up, recently, but I don't know from where. To pack a hat for travelling, first till the hat with socks etc. Then put the hat in the centre of the case and build up layers of clothes around it. I plan to try this with a cheapish panama, next month, when I take a trip from the UK to SA.

I'm sorry if this idea has been posted before and I am not at all sure if it will work. I don't really want a foldable hat as I don't like the ridge down the centre of the crown. I don't much like the idea, either, of crushable hats.

I expect that this is heresy.

With all good wishes, Munky.

3. Captain O

Captain O Active Member

Beaver fur is far more expensive, but it the "way to go" when it comes to felt hats. Warmth, rain resistance, dye retention, shape and hat life are all reasons for going with beaver fur felt.

It does make a difference, and, while more expensive is well worth the added cost. The old adage "buy it nice or buy it twice" applies. (Hint: Buy it right from the beginning). In the long run, you'll be much happier.