• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I may be overthinking this but would welcome any ideas on this. Sincerely, Munky.

Of course you are.

Just do you!

My only advice is don't handle Panama hats by pinching them at the top-front of the crown. as you can crack the fibers, always handle them by the brims. Some panamas now have some reinforcement on the inside at the pinch points to counter this but it's still recommended to handle them by the brims.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course you are.

Just do you!

My only advice is don't handle Panama hats by pinching them at the top-front of the crown. as you can crack the fibers, always handle them by the brims. Some panamas now have some reinforcement on the inside at the pinch points to counter this but it's still recommended to handle them by the brims.

Phew! Thanks for this, Thin. I guess the point of hats is to wear them!
bigstar[1].gif
Sincerely, Munky.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just bought two more Christy's, fur felt, Fedoras. One, in light beige, is in their Knightsbridge range. The other is silver grey, in their Classic Fedora range. The Knightsbridge has a slightly narrower brim of the two and each looks different to the other.

Here in the UK, summer is starting. It rarely gets very hot - 80 degrees would be a rarity. Our ordinary temperature in the summer is probably in the low to mid 70's, although nothing can be guaranteed.

I plan to wear my hats in the summer. Today was our hottest day (and not very hot!), so far and one of them felt very comfortable and appropriate. I have to shield my eyes and I need to make sure I don't burn the top of my head. I had no sense of the hat being to warm for my head. I have a Panama for the odd day when it really is hot.

I know that these things are subjective, but what are people's thoughts about wearing fur felt Fedoras in the summer months? I only wear casual clothes but look after them and my shoes! I came to hats via shoes.

Yours, Munky.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have just bought two more Christy's, fur felt, Fedoras. One, in light beige, is in their Knightsbridge range. The other is silver grey, in their Classic Fedora range. The Knightsbridge has a slightly narrower brim of the two and each looks different to the other.

Here in the UK, summer is starting. It rarely gets very hot - 80 degrees would be a rarity. Our ordinary temperature in the summer is probably in the low to mid 70's, although nothing can be guaranteed.

I plan to wear my hats in the summer. Today was our hottest day (and not very hot!), so far and one of them felt very comfortable and appropriate. I have to shield my eyes and I need to make sure I don't burn the top of my head. I had no sense of the hat being to warm for my head. I have a Panama for the odd day when it really is hot. 

I know that these things are subjective, but what are people's thoughts about wearing fur felt Fedoras in the summer months?  I only wear casual clothes but look after them and my shoes! I came to hats via shoes. 

Yours, Munky.

Not appropriate = straw is the go in its wonderful myriad types.

But saying that Aussies wear felt Akubras in the Outback and ditto in the conservative business dress so what do I know?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing to see here.

Last edited:

suitedcboy

Reaction score
 Riding too high needs a stretch to drop it closer to your ears IMO.
I disagree. My head shape lets a hat ride lower but some head shapes do not. Fabiovenhorst's hat photos all show the higher positioning and one where he is not wearing a hat would seem to show he has a head for high stance.
BTW Fabi, You wear ALL of your hats very well.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to note that my Christy's Classic Fedoras, in light beige and in silver grey fur felt, are doing well in the warmer, sunnier, weather, here in the UK. They keep the sun off of my balding head and out of my eyes. They also, counterintuitively, keep me me cool. I think they look good, too! Fraternal greetings, Munky.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to note that my Christy's Classic Fedoras, in light beige and in silver grey fur felt, are doing well in the warmer, sunnier, weather, here in the UK. They keep the sun off of my balding head and out of my eyes. They also, counterintuitively, keep me me cool. I think they look good, too! Fraternal greetings, Munky.

We need pics!

gavrarabba

Reaction score
New around there but....just about season in NYC to wear this Worth & Worth Straw Optimo Panama Hat I picked up off Jesse Thorn last year. 100% parabuntal, fine weave.

WWPH.jpg

Bigabyte

Reaction score
Cheers everyone, I've casually found this forum while browsing the internet.
A few years ago a friend of mine lost his favourite hat, and since he was very fond on it and he's birthday is in a couple of weeks I'd like to give him an identical one as a gift.
Here are a few photos taken "back then" that I've found on Facebook that I've blurred for privacy reasons.
1a1a197205.jpg
9c52cfb18b.jpg
ea787bd2ce.jpg

Since I'm no expert I have no idea how to find an exact match (model and colour) for this hat. I'm hoping that someone of you can help me.
Thak you in advance and sorry if my english isn't flawless ;)

gavrarabba

Reaction score
Picked up this Borsalino at Barneys Warehouse sale for $99. I'm quite happy with that price, though they dont take great care compared to a regular hat store, don't keep original box or anything.

borsalino2.jpg borsalino.jpg

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up this Borsalino at Barneys Warehouse sale for $99. I'm quite happy with that price, though they dont take great care compared to a regular hat store, don't keep original box or anything.

View attachment 785650 View attachment 785651

With all due respect, Gavra, your determination to remain anonymous means that we can't see what it looks like on your head. Best wishes, Munky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads