• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

men's hair: changing part

Hair_Dude

Reaction score
So just for something different I tried changing my part from the right side to the left side. I have a typical medium length cut, brushed to the side and slightly back. For those who've tried this, how long did it take for your hair to "relearn?" Also, does it take a while to get used to the new look when looking in a mirror? It's pretty weird seeing everything "backwards."

I think I'm liking it so far, and this is probably the more "correct" side for the part anyway, since my hair looks like it swirls clockwise at the crown.

AlexJ1100

Reaction score
I switched my part back in my freshman year of college.

It's hard to say but I'd guess that after a month or two it began to lay better, and then casually improved from there. It was really more of my own visual "acceptance" that took a bit. It was also tricky just the reteach my hands to brush it properly. While that sounds dumb, it's hard to tell it to do the same thing as before, but in the exact opposite way.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Combed my hair in a thousand ways
But I came out looking just the same

Hair_Dude

Reaction score

I switched my part back in my freshman year of college.

It's hard to say but I'd guess that after a month or two it began to lay better, and then casually improved from there. It was really more of my own visual "acceptance" that took a bit. It was also tricky just the reteach my hands to brush it properly. While that sounds dumb, it's hard to tell it to do the same thing as before, but in the exact opposite way.

I totally get what you're saying. It is weird to see things reversed when looking in a mirror and the brushing part feels strange, too. I guess I will give it some time and see.

I don't know if there is anything to this "hair part theory" stuff, but figured what the heck.:satisfied:

AlexJ1100

Reaction score
The main thing to realize is, for a while at least, you'll NEVER be able to comb it quite the same way as before. It took me a while to accept this, haha. Just accept it could look goofy for just a little bit of time.

And in reality, it probably looks great to everyone else, you'll just be super picky and critiquing it, lol.

Hair_Dude

Reaction score

The main thing to realize is, for a while at least, you'll NEVER be able to comb it quite the same way as before. It took me a while to accept this, haha. Just accept it could look goofy for just a little bit of time.

And in reality, it probably looks great to everyone else, you'll just be super picky and critiquing it, lol.

I can live with that for a while. It's not terrible or anything now, but like you said, it's not the same as before.

When looking in the mirror, I preferred my hair the way it was before, with the part on the right side. The other day, I was thinking about how a mirror reverses your image left to right, so other people were seeing the opposite of what I was seeing. So, my theory is, whatever looks better in the mirror, do the opposite, because that is what people will really see. Anyway, it may not matter one bit, but it can't hurt. My hair's been the same for ages now, so even something as simple as changing the part adds a bit of variety.

Hair_Dude

Reaction score
So, a little update. I've been sticking with the left-side part for several months now, but I'm not sure if I should keep it that way. When I look at the crown on the back of my head, there is a definite swirl on the left side, and it goes clockwise. From everything I've read, this is pretty common for guys, and it means I should part my hair on the left (like in the picture).

My problem is, some of the hair at the front of my head seems to naturally grow in the opposite direction. In the photo, my hair is parted from left to right in the direction of the red arrow. If you look closely, it seems like the front hairs want to go from right to left (blue arrow). I've also noticed that this make my hair a little more "see through" at the hairline when standing under a bright light. What should I do in this case? Go with the swirl at the crown and fight the front, or fight the crown and comb in the direction the hair goes at the front? :crazy:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads