Men's fashion writing: humor

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by minimal, Oct 12, 2004.

1. minimal

minimal Senior member

i came across this article in esquire's online archive a few months ago. i suspect many here will find it hilarious, or very close to home. i only reproduce the first few paragraphs, go to the link to read the whole thing (you can put in an "arbitrary" email address when it asks you at the archive). article in esquire archive -------------------------------------- by Melissan Ceria | Sep 01 '02 The Closeted Lives of the Fashion Obsessed There are men--successful, normal men--who just can't get enough. They are driven to deceit to satisfy their hunger and maintain appearances. These are their stories. TWO YEARS INTO OUR MARRIAGE and I knew something was seriously wrong. I just couldn't put my finger on it. Sure, in hindsight, all the clues were there: a crumpled scrap of paper with a telephone number on the bedside table; a pair of pants missing from the closet; a wad of cash in his underwear drawer; his cell phone turned off on weekdays between noon and two. Maybe I should have confronted him earlier. My mind was elsewhere: our second wedding anniversary, our newborn. I never thought he would do this. But then a brazen answering-machine message: "Hi, Arthur, it's Herb. I'm calling to follow up on our conversation last week. I've got some more fabrics I want to show you. Oh, and your suit is ready to be picked up." He was a salesman, it turned out, from Ralph Lauren. For weeks, my husband had been sneaking off to rub up against a made-to-measure single-breasted gray wool suit. Not only had he kept this dalliance a secret, but his new sartorial affair was costing us no less than a few steamy nights at the Plaza with a busty blond. [rest of article at link above]

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I thought it was a well-written and funny article.

3. arvi

arvi Senior member

what a comfort... in the short time that i've been coming to styleforum i've learned how many more men are like me..i'm married 38 years and have been sneaking purchases into my house for as many years..thanks to articles like this and other threads here i can finally start to come out of the "closet". [​IMG]

4. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Before reading that article, I never really considered that my bespoke suits could be traded in for "a few steamy nights at the Plaza with a busty blond."

I may need to reconsider my spending priorities.

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I dsagree. When she sees you in your Kiton suit with your EG shoes, she'll be more than willing to give you a few steamy nights I think.