1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Men's fashion industry info.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RainCityClotheshound, May 7, 2002.

1. RainCityClotheshound

RainCityClotheshound Well-Known Member

Good Day,Gentlemen. As a member of the StyleForum for the past few months,I have been very impressed with the breadth of knowledge about the men's fashion industry posted here;not only seasonal styles,but suppliers,which house is owned by whom,etc. Could you please recommend books,trade publications,or websites dedicated to men's style/fashion where one could learn more about the industry(i.e. something like "W",but for men)? Also,history,prominent menswear designers,etc. Thank you for your help. Â Â [​IMG]

2. jetLab

jetLab Well-Known Member

go and buy Arena Homme or Vogue Homme

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Classes at a fashion institute or design school are obviously the best. On the net, www.fashionwindows.com is a pretty good source for industry news, brief designer bios to get you started, and previews of the next season's lines (the major shows all take place about 6-9 months before the line actually comes out). However, for previews, firstlook.com is the best resource. course, you should always read Susy Menkes column in the IHT. There are plenty of good reference books out there as well. Arena Plus Homme is a pretty good periodical, but it is not a good place to learn about the industry, since it is not an industry paper. If you are at all interested in the financial side, follow the companies. A lot of companies are publicly traded, either on the NYSE or in one of the European markets. Good luck, and enjoy.

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

5. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

6. RainCityClotheshound

RainCityClotheshound Well-Known Member

Thank you for your suggestions.DNR was suggested by a sales assoc. at a trendy place that I shop at occasionally;I'll see if I can get my hands on a copy.I'll also check out the websites you've mentioned.Mags like Arena Homme are fine for collections,but I'm looking for info on the business end.

A lot of creative energy goes into designing and manufacturing fine menswear. Yet,it's also a business,supported by financiers,shareholders,and tied to profit & loss.We enjoy sharing our thoughts on the result.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Completely forgot about the DNR. Yes, read it.