• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Ex Magazine in Japan.

jhao

Reaction score
The girlfriend of a friend is going to Japan for 15 days and I want her to bring me a Men's Ex Magazine, she knows nothing about clothing and don't even care about it.

Is easy to find Men's Ex magazine in Japan ?, as you would find a GQ in the States? Can she buy it at the airport ? I don't wan't to be a pain ********** asking for difficult thing what would mess her trip.

Thanks.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhao
The girlfriend of a friend is going to Japan for 15 days and I want her to bring me a Men's Ex Magazine, she knows nothing about clothing and don't even care about it.

Is easy to find Men's Ex magazine in Japan ?, as you would find a GQ in the States? Can she buy it at the airport ? I don't wan't to be a pain ********** asking for difficult thing what would mess her trip.

Thanks.

Yes, it is easily found in all bookstores and also the airport. Sometimes though if you catch it at the wrong time, they will be sold out and waiting for next month's shipment. That has happened to me a few times when I waited till I got to the airport to buy my mags. Try Uomo and Leon too.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score

Thanks.

Yes, Men's Ex can be had at most bookstores, even smaller on 'round the corner shops. I have gotten it at the airport bookshop before going through immigration. Also, one of the international terminals at Narita Airport used to have a newstand in the boarding area. This stand stocked Men's Ex and didn't charge the 5% consumption tax. Unfortunately, it can be a bit of a gamble to wait until you get there to buy your magazines, as they can be sold out, and have been closed for remodeling several times.

Bic

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LAST will be published at Sep 1 too.
I got my Men Ex and Begin at airport everytime I go to Japan.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
The august issue is the underwear issue, very few interesting articles/pics so you may want to wait for the Sep. issue

underwear ? and last month was the watch issue and they wasted a lot pages on Japan's local MTM labels. Just paid for a year of subscription through the bookstore, hope I am not wasting my money.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
underwear ? and last month was the watch issue and they wasted a lot pages on Japan's local MTM labels. Just paid for a year of subscription through the bookstore, hope I am not wasting my money.

how much was your subscription? I usually give mine away here after a few months.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
how much was your subscription? I usually give mine away here after a few months.

120 or so for 12 issues I think, but I have to pick up @ the store, mailing to me cost more.
Mine intention was to start collecting Men's Ex.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can grab Men's Ex, Men's Style, Japanese GQ, Leon and Uomo at Narita. And the one bookstore in the Int'l Terminal often has the prior month's issue in a back room - just ask. I lucked out on my last trip and go 3 months' worth of issues of the above mags (flew in the last week of the month, flew out the first week of the month, and they had the prior month's issues stored away).

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
120 or so for 12 issues I think, but I have to pick up @ the store, mailing to me cost more.
Mine intention was to start collecting Men's Ex.

You really shouldn't collect mens clothing magazines.

There is a bookstore that I will keep secret which once a year gets rid of all their old stock and I pickup back issues of Begin, Mens Ex and Last for about $1-2 a pop, I usually get Mens Ex monthly but sometimes I forget, I think I pay about $11-12.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright I said it before and I'll say it again, somewhere out there exists the Japanese version of Styleforum, in one form of one community or another.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
Alright I said it before and I'll say it again, somewhere out there exists the Japanese version of Styleforum, in one form of one community or another.

... and I'm sure they're not talking about getting American GQ, Mens Vogue or Details from the United States. Seriously, there are tons of other style magazines there in Japan. Haven't been there but in Bookstore Konikuya in Singapore I think I perused through at least 5 titles, Mens Ex and Leon among them of course. One thing about our style-conscious Japanese brethren, they sure like to study the minutest details of shoes and clothes.

mmhollis

Reaction score
If anyone gets this magazine and would be willing to send me the old editions I would be interested in buying them (or paying the shipping if your willing to give them away). Now that I have graduated I'm looking to step up my knowledge of clothing.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
... and I'm sure they're not talking about getting American GQ, Mens Vogue or Details from the United States.

Oh no I agree with you. It's just that it's really rare to find such a detail-oriented community. The GQ community and Superfuture don't really seem to pay attention to little quality details like SF does and I think it's interesting to think that there's a rather large community, in Japan, that is similar to SF in terms of detailed analysis. If I knew Japanese, I would love to travel there and geek out on discussions of stitching details, cordovan, shoe construction, etc.

sanrensho

Reaction score

Thanks.

My other favorite Japanese fashion mag is "Free & Easy". You could almost call it the opposite of Men's Ex....it's about men's vintage clothing and accessories like bags, glasses, motorcycles and other cool stuff...it seems to concentrate on the 30s-40s era, and they catch phrase is "clothes for rugged men" or something like that. It will be in the same section as Men's Ex. Both magazines are printed on high-quality paper...meaning they are VERY heavy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads