• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's EX 2007 Suit of The Year.....

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Later tonight I'm going to post a bunch of pics which I think are interesting from Men's Ex and the last two issues of Last. The Men's Ex issue is their Suit of The Year issue and I wanted to psot some quick pics as some of the brands are those discussed here, positively and negatively. I don't know Japanese, but it seems like they group them buy price. They do pic 1 "Grand Pix" winner which seems to be what they consider the best suit at any price (it's 1 of the suits below). I'll let you guys guess what that is until I post later tonight
smile.gif

KIF_7887.jpg

Caruso, Boglioli (two of my favorite brands) and a brand I never heard of..
KIF_7889.jpg

Is there a Rubinacci RTW?
KIF_7890.jpg

Three heavy hitters..
KIF_7891.jpg

As great as the Japanese magazines are, they still have the occasional pic like this:
KIF_7892.jpg

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing this Suit of the Year.

And, perhaps someone who reads Japanese can translate the voice bubble on the guy with the down parka. I'm morbidly curious.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel

Is there a Rubinacci RTW?

Yes, but really only for his shop in Japan. In Naples they have two or three suits for somebody who wants the name but hasn't the time. I believe they are made by Belvest, but I am not sure. If not, it is somebody similar. The same goes for Panico. He has RTW, but only in Japan.

I chuckle that his is the only one with a silk square. He so hates white pocket squares that I am sure he forbids them to ever be shown in mags with his suits.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Looking forward to seeing this Suit of the Year.

And, perhaps someone who reads Japanese can translate the voice bubble on the guy with the down parka. I'm morbidly curious.

After all the cool suit pics, I have to admit that that's exactly what I was wondering too!
laugh.gif

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard Rubinacci RTW is actually made in Japan and not outsourced to another brand. There is a Rubinacci RTW factory somewhere in Japan where the tailors from Naples advise/consult. I remember trying on the RTW out of curiosity, and I think that was what I was told. I think the quality was actually pretty good for the price, as they were pretty cheap (around $1K-$1.5K?...but I don`t remember for sure)

I think Panico RTW is made in Naples, then sent out to the shops in Japan.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have several pieces of Rubinacci RTW from Louis, Boston and Bergdorfs though they are all at least 5 years old, probably more.

Nice post Ed!

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It says, "Don't be afraid of innovation (change). I always strive to keep "fresh". Moncler (the French maker of his down parka) is the best for this ideal [of keeping "fresh" and not wilting in the face of change]."

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
I always strive to keep "fresh".

Excellent! Thanks. I think we should all strive to keep "fresh" and not fear "innovation".

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent! Thanks. I think we should all strive to keep "fresh" and not fear "innovation".

Yes, no-iron shirts for everyone!

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
They do pick 1 "Grand Prix" winner which seems to be what they consider the best suit at any price (it's 1 of the suits below). I'll let you guys guess what that is until I post later tonight
smile.gif

My vote is for Cesare Attolini!
happy.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Moncler jacket looks like it's made of plastic, so shiny and plasticky.

Men's EX is probably the best men's magazine out there, strickly devoted to high style/fashion. When I used to live in NYC I would buy them at the Japanese bookstores.

Can't read a word of it, but the pictures alone were good enough.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting that they include Boglioli as in America at least, it's an obscure name.

In fact, it's so obscure that you can find them New on eBay, and win them for less than $400.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are the Japanese magazines always so lavish in the pictures? It compels me to buy them even though I don't know a word of Japanese.

I wish there were an English equivalent.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I have several pieces of Rubinacci RTW from Louis, Boston and Bergdorfs though they are all at least 5 years old, probably more.

Nice post Ed!

Probably more like 10 years I think, as I sold several pieces back in 01-03 and they were already a few years old. Most of the RTW Rubinacci was Belvest though I had one beautiful sportcoat that was made by Brioni. In general the cut was not very Rubinacci-esque.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wow. I hope we can get more information about the other brands there (Sartoria Taglio D'Oro, Castangia)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads