Men's Clothing v Streetwear

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pendragon, Oct 20, 2009.

1. pendragon

pendragon Senior member

I've been exploring the "Men's Clothing" section of SF for some time now. I've learned a little, and in the process grown partial to the likes of Borelli, LP and Cucinelli - most of which I've picked up in the FS forums at the usual 80% discount.

However, as fashion moves on, it has become apparent that "Streetwear" is taking over, and my french cuffs and antique ivory links are beginning to look a little, shall we say, "steam-driven."

At first, I thought I could ignore it and simply outspend the young whippersnappers, but then I thought I'd better browse through the "Streetwear" B&S - just to see what I was up against.

I was amazed to find the little Herberts demanding absurd prices for their shabby jeans!

50% off retail? What are they thinking?

Bwahahahahah!! I chortled and ran back to my closet to fondle a piece of fine Italian cashmere...

2. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

learn to embrace both. i find it queer that (even in a tone of jest) mc people have a tone of hostility towards streetwear crowd and their doings, where it is almost nonexistent vice versa.

3. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

4. FStyles

FStyles Senior member

+1 and a big 1! Real fashionistos are well rounded and can look smashing in either cloth (or more..) I'm still trying to get it right but find that my wardrobe is def geared towards the MC side of the rainbow.
    learn to embrace both. i find it queer that (even in a tone of jest) mc people have a tone of hostility towards streetwear crowd and their doings, where it is almost nonexistent vice versa.

5. oroy38

oroy38 Senior member

I'm still a kid in college, and I incorporate both styles into my wardrobe. Some days I look more MC than SW&D, and it depends entirely on how I'm feeling. I don't confine myself to any one style of clothing. Some days I feel more MC. Some days I feel more SW&D. Some days I just want to wear sneakers, jeans, and a t-shirt. Regardless of what style I'm dressed in, I'm comfortable and relaxed.

Then again, even wearing jeans in college is being more "dressed up" than half of the students who show up to class in sweats, an oversized t-shirt, and sandals.

6. kuwisdelu

kuwisdelu Senior member

Being in college, I also have to wear the requisite jeans every once in a while, but Men's Clothing is what really interests me. I couldn't care less about designer jeans or whatever.

7. apropos

apropos Senior member

The big (and crucial to me) difference is that more often than not eventually they come to MC.

Make what you will of it.

8. Zenny

Zenny Senior member

Both have their place in my wardrobe. That being said, there is no way id drop crazy cash on jeans.

9. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Being in college, I also have to wear the requisite jeans every once in a while, but Men's Clothing is what really interests me. I couldn't care less about designer jeans or whatever.

Same here. I really love reading MC.

10. pendragon

pendragon Senior member

Actually, I have no objection to street wear, or its crowd, so unbunch your panties. What struck me was the disparity in pricing.

11. Zintintin

Zintintin Senior member

I agree. What warrants a Band of Outsiders long sleeve shirt to be $50 more than a RLPL?

Crazy.

12. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Actually, I have no objection to street wear, or its crowd, so unbunch your panties. What struck me was the disparity in pricing.
    I spend a lot of time bunching my panties just so. I suspect this is true of many forumites.

13. srivats

srivats Senior member

To the OP:

You have to understand that not everyone needs to (or wants to) dress in a suit or other tailored clothing. Some people have a profession where wearing tailored clothing would actually not help forward their career. Sometimes people just dislike wearing "old man clothes" (ie in MC terms).

The prices that items sell for are the prices that people are willing to pay - be it for a Kiton jacket or a pair of some high-end selvage dennim. What you see as 'value' might not be the same for -others. For example, many members in MC (including me) have a thing for dress shoes and have plenty in our rotation. Outside SF, infact even just outside MC, this is seen a crazy thing. I can say the same thing about owning more than many items (pocket squares, belts, ties, sportscoats to name a few). I see absolutely no point comparing MC vs SW&D prices, esp discounted prices for items that you see on B&S.

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I mix and match all the time.

For example:

KMW 1980s paired with a Borrelli dress shirt. Rachael Comey brown captoes and a Attolini blazer.

or

A pair of slim, flat front khaki Incotex trousers , Steven Alan reverse-seam button-down shirt, BoO (Band of Outsiders) x Sperry boatshoes and a Isaia cotton blazer.

I don't have a job where I can wear a suit (let alone dress nice), so mixing and matching the two is a great opportunity to get some nice mens-clothing stuff into my everyday look after work hours and on weekends.