• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's clothes & shoes sizes--- Why are there so few Mediums 42R & 10.5 - 11 shoes?

PMaximus

Reaction score
This topic may have come up over the years, but I have yet to find a logical explanation for why there are so few medium size shirts, suits, and pants and so few 10.5/11 size shoes for sale online, on styleforum classifieds and on eBay. This also is the case for consignment shops, Goodwill and sales racks at Barneys/Saks/Nordstroms. I rarely see dress shoes for sale in size 10.5-11 on this site or eBay, but an abundance of size 7,8,9 and 12,13. Diesel jeans are rare in sizes 31/32 but plenty of them in 29/30 and 34/35/36. Suits can be found all the time on sales racks or consignment stores in size 38 or 44/46 and plenty in short and long. I've been offered explanations like 42R and size 11 shoe are the most popular so the demand is higher... but if that's true, wouldn't it stand to reason that there would also be proportionately more donated to Goodwills and consignment stores because there are more wearers and would stores order more size Mediums and 42Rs and size 11 shoes since those are the least probably ones to be found on clearance or on sale, or even in regular inventory? Wouldn't there also be proportionately more size 10.5/11 pre-owned shoes on styleforum because there are more people wearing them? I have frequented Brooks Brothers and typically find overcoats and suits in smalls or large but the middle sizes are often not in stock. I would love to be educated on this phenomenon. Thanks folks.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This topic may have come up over the years, but I have yet to find a logical explanation for why there are so few medium size shirts, suits, and pants and so few 10.5/11 size shoes for sale online, on styleforum classifieds and on eBay.  This also is the case for consignment shops, Goodwill and sales racks at Barneys/Saks/Nordstroms.  I rarely see dress shoes for sale in size 10.5-11 on this site or eBay, but an abundance of size 7,8,9 and 12,13.  Diesel jeans are rare in sizes 31/32 but plenty of them in 29/30 and 34/35/36.  Suits can be found all the time on sales racks or consignment stores in size 38 or 44/46 and plenty in short and long.  I've been offered explanations like 42R and size 11 shoe are the most popular so the demand is higher... but if that's true, wouldn't it stand to reason that there would also be proportionately more donated to Goodwills and consignment stores because there are more wearers and would stores order more size Mediums and 42Rs and size 11 shoes since those are the least probably ones to be found on clearance or on sale, or even in regular inventory?  Wouldn't there also be proportionately more size 10.5/11 pre-owned shoes on styleforum because there are more people wearing them?   I have frequented Brooks Brothers and typically find overcoats and suits in smalls or large but the middle sizes are often not in stock.  I would love to be educated on this phenomenon.  Thanks folks.

I have been wondering why there are so few buyers for 10.5-11 shoes?
I have a several models for sale in my signature :) sizes 10.5 and 11.

TOstyle

Reaction score
Mainly because they are the most popular sizes and the ones that sell out quickest?

justonemore

Reaction score
Mainly because they are the most popular sizes and the ones that sell out quickest?
Indeed.....Few people have size 6-8 & 12-13 feet...But makers will still run the line in order to cater to everyboy...You don't see last pair sales on 8-11s because they have sold out and the last pairs are what remains 6-8 and 12-13.....Happily I fall in the 12-13 area....

Same with clothing. I have a closet full of Canali suits to include DBs, super 120's-150's....and I don't think I've paid more than $900 for any of them thanks to hitting the clearence sales at 50% or so off...

To be fair though....I do believe that the smaller and larger "extremes" get less selection overall...I've heard often enough "oh, we'd have to order that", "We don't carry that size" and "No, we don't make that size"....

I'd also think the average sizes have a better chance of obtaining more popular items..I.E. .A store ordering 100 pair might order 20 each of the "average" sizes 8, 9, 10, and 11 but only 5 each of the 6-7 & 12-13

Last edited:

PMaximus

Reaction score
Good points. But for what I like to buy (designer names on the discount/clearance racks) I find that the smaller and larger sizes are far, far more abundant. The sizes I find at Saks Off 5th and Marshalls are almost always XL or shoe size 7 or 13. But you may have a point about the more "average" sizes being more available in standard stores like Macys and Lord & Taylor.

PMaximus

Reaction score
As I stated, the most popular sizes should also be MORE available since there is more demand for them, and a store manager would supply/request more of that size to the store since it sells faster. And thus, there would be more available in the pre-owned market, increasing the supply which offsets the extra demand for the popular sizes. I think justonemmore has the answer, though hard to prove.

TOstyle

Reaction score
I think it is a question of logistics. Store do stock more of the popular sizes (9 to 11), but they still only stock so many at a time and those do go first. So more supply, more demand, less availability at the end of the season. It's not just a theoretical arguments, it's a practical point and the lack of just-in-time logistics carries the day I believe.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try finding 11.5s :( More 12s and 13s than 11.5s :puzzled:

PMaximus

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their input. Somewhere out there are some very, very well-dressed Small or L/XL gentlemen because those are the sizes which are most common on clearance, or consignment or forums like here. I guess the key is not to have monetary constraints and just buy at full price at Barney's ;-)

justonemore

Reaction score
No...you got it wrong...the key is to not having time resraints....and not being overly picky....If you need a black cap-toe bal tonight from a B&M store.......you'll pay the asking price.....If you're patient, honest, and wiliing to wait, you can find decent bargains on shoes no matter te size...I'm a shoe "hobbiest"...I have close to 40 pairs....I am never in a hurry....but...after waitng and watching..if I see 3 pair of Vass I like...at the price I like....they will be mine...alll at once...I'm willing to spend a few $thousand on a good grab of 6 pair versus paying the same for 2....

just an example...a local store carries alden shell....They have sales every year....the first discount is 33%....The 2nd discount is 50%....and and after that it's 33% on the 50%......Full price has the best selection...I can wait for 33%....but others will find this advantageous and buy first.... and this local store only has 1-2 pair of 13's....and while not the most popular...13 in Europe is hardly rare...And this pattern continues throughout the discount stages...

So no...it's not about paying out the cash...

PMaximus

Reaction score
No...you got it wrong...the key is to not having time resraints....and not being overly picky....If you need a black cap-toe bal tonight from a B&M store.......you'll pay the asking price.....If you're patient, honest, and wiliing to wait, you can find decent bargains on shoes no matter te size...I'm a shoe "hobbiest"...I have close to 40 pairs....I am never in a hurry....but...after waitng and watching..if I see 3 pair of Vass I like...at the price I like....they will be mine...alll at once...I'm willing to spend a few $thousand on a good grab of 6 pair versus paying the same for 2....

just an example...a local store carries alden shell....They have sales every year....the first discount is 33%....The 2nd discount is 50%....and and after that it's 33% on the 50%......Full price has the best selection...I can wait for 33%....but others will find this advantageous and buy first.... and this local store only has 1-2 pair of 13's....and while not the most popular...13 in Europe is hardly rare...And this pattern continues throughout the discount stages...

I don't agree. I have been visiting consignment stores, Goodwills, and outlet stores for a decade, as well as clearance racks at department stores. Of course everytime is gamble, but 9 out of 10 times what I find are the sizes below and above 40/42 suit size, many longs & shorts, and shoes size smaller than 10 and larger than 11. I suppose we all have different life experiences, but what I meant by monetary constraints is that if I were a multi-millionaire, I'd just walk into a Saks or Barneys and buy the item at full retail, as they usually have every size in their normal inventory at full price. Of course, some items need to be special ordered, but 9 out of 10 times, if money were no object, you would have no trouble finding your size :)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, in your case, you are substituting time for money, which may be a good trade for you. Someone else may feel differently, and also for perfectly valid reasons.

As for why it's harder to find "normal" sizes at consignment stores, it's because while the distribution of buyers is the same as for a regular store, the distribution of consignees is different, specifically because the demand for different sizes is different.

If I had the choice of selling my size 40 suit on Ebay for more $$$, or giving to to charity or consigning it for much less money, of course I am going to sell it directly. My audience is large, and I do not need to pay someone to find it for me. Essentially, this is what you are doing when you consign something. If I have an item with a much more limited audience, I may need to find someone to help me reach my audience.

The same goes for what someone might do if they decide to NOT consign something, but to just pass it onto a family member or friend. I rarely, if ever, sell anything. On the rare occasion that I part with something, it is nearly always something that is BNIB or BNWT, and I also just give it away to a friend or one of my brothers. I am a small size 40, and plenty of my friends are those sizes. I would imagine that a size 56 would have fewer friends that are close to his size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads