Men's Belts

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by steppinthrax, Jul 15, 2016.

1. steppinthrax

steppinthrax Member

Any rules or advice on buy belts. I'm starting from scratch. Generally what's the rule of thumb for belt size to pant size. What type of belts should a man have. I'm speaking mainly of dress belts. I work in an office (business).

Thanks

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

A typical dress belt is 1.25" wide, and typically, your belt size is 2" greater than your pant size, so, if you wear a size 32 pair of pants, you will probably wear a size 34" belt. Of course, sizing can vary between brands, both for pants and for belts.

I personally think that you can never have enough belts (I have over 60), but realistically, you "need" three or four. A black calfskin dress belt (lined), a brown calfskin dress belt, a suede belt for more casual outfits, and a more rugged style (probably brown) to wear with jeans, moleskin pants, etc...

3. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Actually, 1" is at least as acceptable a dress belt width as is 1.25", if not outright preferable.

The iconic Tiffany sterling engine-turned belt buckle, by way of example, is made to fit a 1" wide belt.

A very large man may look better in a 1.25" belt, than in a 1" belt. But if the guy's that big, maybe he should forgo a belt altogether, and consider suspenders. (I'm American; I don't have to call them "braces.")

4. steppinthrax

steppinthrax Member

In terms of belts, what brands should I look for?

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

5. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Active Member

With jeans, I normally wear thick, rugged leather belts, anywhere from 1.5-inch to 2.00-inch wide. Here's a pic of a 2.00-inch wide English Oak Bark Bridle leather belt:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

6. Astaroth

Astaroth Senior member

how much do you want to be spending?

http://www.equusleather.com is rated by many on this forum and give a 10% discount to StyleForum users (and as presumably you are in the USA you can deduct the sales tax (VAT) from the price by dividing by 1.2 in addition to the 10% discount)

7. Dean Zep

Dean Zep New Member

You should check out the Infinita Belt. It hasn't hit the market yet, but the company is launching a kickstarter campaign in April of this year. The belt has no holes or ratchets, but rather a locking mechanism that allows the user to lock the belt at any position along the leather. Here is the facebook link if you want to check out some of the products and pics!

www.facebook.com/beltinfinita