• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mens Belted Cardigans- What's The Verdict?

Donald Donaldson

Reaction score
This is the type of thing I'm talking about:

milan-vukmirovic8.jpg

milan-vukmirovic5.jpg

unusedcardi.jpg

Personally I love this look, although I appear to be in the minority?

What do you think about this style?

Very distinctive, obviously there is an element of the feminine about it and it's not the easiest thing to pull off, but for me when it works it looks great.

It's not so easy to find good mens cardigans like this though, can anyone point me in the right direction?

I have the third one, and one other (not as good..), but am on the look out for more.

Yves Saint Laurent currently have a cardigan like this in their s/s 2011 collection it's on barneys.com, however I am not a big fan of it due to it's unfortunate fastening method which is down to it being somewhat asymmetrical. You have to fasten it all the way up and it looks too rigid.

Here it is:

http://www.barneys.com/Asymmetrical-...efault,pd.html

For me this look works if it is worn more losely, and at least partialy open, either with a white drape neck t shirt, or white deep v neck t shirt, or perhaps a check shirt (not formal).

Yves Saint Laurent seem to make quite a few of these as they had a beige and grey one in their a/w 2010/2011 collection and also a couple of years back had a purple and grey one too, a shame there are not more high quality cardigans like this as it's a very unique and eye catching look.

Does anyone here have or know someone that has either of the previous Yves Saint Laurent cardigans- particularly the beige or the purple?

Donald Donaldson

Reaction score
By the way I agree that out of those three the black one is probably the least impressive, although I like it to a degree.

I'm still very interested in getting ahold of those older YSL one's I mentioned, as the current YSL offering does not do this look much justice.

Allen

Reaction score
Frankly, I like the first one quite a lot... in fact, I'll look for one. The other ones aren't bad really. I personally think they are ok.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second one's a classic. Got to have the build for it - if your triangle's not inverted, if you're apple or pear-shaped, this is going to look like a bath robe.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
so she wears your dress shirt and you get her cardigan? how sweet

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Teh ****.

Donald Donaldson

Reaction score
I think most of them are quite loose so they are not intended to be worn fitted, it's not the sort of garment that hugs the body.

The three pictures here are perhaps not as loose as some longer one's from Unconditional and (I think) Marc Jacobs that I have seen a couple of years ago.

It's far from a popular look so I'm not too surprised most people are not enthusiastic about them.

Damir Doma have a leather jacket in their s/s 2011 collection that uses the same concept, long cardigan style, loose fitting, with a belt although it is not as nice as the wool cardigans in my opinion.

Donald Donaldson

Reaction score
On the same subject, I vaguely recall Cavalli having a great looking white belted cardigan many many years ago which I think David Beckam wore- not something I have seen since from them since however.

Did anyone that does like them have a look at the YSL one currently available at Barneys?

What do you think of that one in particular- do you think it could be worn parted and very loosely tied with the belt?

I can't quite see how and where it fastens and how it would look if it was fastened like that...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads