• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Menguin?

urban.dk

Reaction score
Hi folks, long time lurker, first time poster....

I am making plans for my wedding. I'm going to get a tux made by Kent Wang. Looking for options for my groomsmen. I was thinking about buying them tuxes, but in the interest of saving money, bumped into this:

https://www.menguin.com/

They seem to have positive reviews on the wedding websites.... anyone every use them?

Thanks!

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, long time lurker, first time poster....

I am making plans for my wedding. I'm going to get a tux made by Kent Wang. Looking for options for my groomsmen. I was thinking about buying them tuxes, but in the interest of saving money, bumped into this:

https://www.menguin.com/

They seem to have positive reviews on the wedding websites.... anyone every use them?

Thanks!
It appears to be just a tux rental service but online and with a user-friendly interface. So you’re dealing with rental wear, which by definition is neither well made nor well fitting. Why not just let your groomsmen wear their own dark suits, assuming they have them? They don’t need to look like a 1960s Motown group and probably can’t sing anyway. You can specify white shirts and dark ties, then get them all boutonnières. They will thank you.

urban.dk

Reaction score
It appears to be just a tux rental service but online and with a user-friendly interface. So you’re dealing with rental wear, which by definition is neither well made nor well fitting. Why not just let your groomsmen wear their own dark suits, assuming they have them? They don’t need to look like a 1960s Motown group and probably can’t sing anyway. You can specify white shirts and dark ties, then get them all boutonnières. They will thank you.

Thanks for the reply. You think me in a custom tux and my groomsmen in their own dark suits would be a good look?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. You think me in a custom tux and my groomsmen in their own dark suits would be a good look?
Certainly. You're the groom. I try to dissuade couples from going for the matching wedding party look, which was invented by the wedding industry and has no basis in history. In the days when only nobility had wedding ceremonies (peasants were simply married under common law), it was assumed that all the guests had their own bespoke formal wear to match the occasion; all the men may have been in tails and top hats but they weren't a perfect match as each man of course had his own tailor and valet. Unless you believe all your groomsmen already own morning coats, it should suffice that they simply wear their most formal personal clothes. But I realize I am fighting an uphill battle as people will continue to believe that weddings should be choreographed like a Broadway musical.

jaxenro

Reaction score
Certainly. You're the groom. I try to dissuade couples from going for the matching wedding party look, which was invented by the wedding industry and has no basis in history. In the days when only nobility had wedding ceremonies (peasants were simply married under common law), it was assumed that all the guests had their own bespoke formal wear to match the occasion; all the men may have been in tails and top hats but they weren't a perfect match as each man of course had his own tailor and valet. Unless you believe all your groomsmen already own morning coats, it should suffice that they simply wear their most formal personal clothes. But I realize I am fighting an uphill battle as people will continue to believe that weddings should be choreographed like a Broadway musical.

Well said. The only thing worse than matching groomsmens outfits is matching them to the bridesmaids or worse matching the groom to the bride. He isn’t supposed to see her dress yet too often he shows up color coordinated to it.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell the groomsmen to wear their best navy or dark grey suits. You don’t need to dress your friends.

urban.dk

Reaction score
I definitely don't like the matching groomsmen look and appreciate the feedback! I think I'll go with dark gray suits for them and a black tux for myself.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely don't like the matching groomsmen look and appreciate the feedback! I think I'll go with dark gray suits for them and a black tux for myself.

They'll be wearing their own suits I hope. No need to pay for their clothing, they’re grown men.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads