• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

davideforestali

Reaction score
Hi,

my name is Davide, and I'm looking for an effective, but not too complicated, skin care routine. I said not complicated cause I'm looking for a routine that I know I can keep up with forever, I already know that if it's too complicated I'll give up after a while, just like with the alimentation routine: I go to the gym and I eat healthy but without keeping it too strict (for example when it comes to eat pizza or lasagna, I do it), just because that way I know I can keep it up forever.

I know skin/hair care routine is very personal and it depends on the subject, so please consider I live in Italy (very cold in winter, very hot in summer and generally pretty humid), I'm 25 years old, I have combination skin, and I genetically have dark circles around eyes.

I've done some researches and it seems like a good basic routine would be

'cleanse twice a day, moisturize twice a day(with different moisturizers: one for the morning, which also has to have SPF, and one for the evening before going to bed), and exfoliate twice a week'.

Still, I have many doubts:

1. Is there anything else I should be aware of? for example:

a. Antiage: does the above routine work as anti age as well? or should I include some other stuff like serum and/or eyes cream?

b. Toner: I heard is important too, is it actually that important?

c. Face masks: shoul I include them too?

d. Facial brush: it looks like is a must-have considering all videos around youtube. is it though?

e. Argan oil: I heard is liquid gold for skin too (as well as for hair and other stuff). What do you think about it?

f. and again is there anything else you think I should be aware of?

2. Doesn't all this cleans and exfoliate take off the suntan?

3. Since the morning moisturizers has to have SPF in it, what's the actual minimum level recommended? Also, if I go to the beach for exampe, should I put sun block as well, or the moisturizer with SPF works just fine already (at least for the face)?

4. When it's summer, should I keep cleansing my face twice a day even if I wet my face way more often during the day? for example when i go swimming.

5. Can you suggest me some products and/or skincare routine kit(system)?

I know it's a long list of doubts and questions so really thanks so much for your help.

Davide

Reaction score
You've got a pretty long list here, but let me throw in my two-cents.

1. Cleanse at night with a quality cleanser, I prefer CeraVe Renewing SA Cleanser. I am not sure if that is available in Italy, but the important ingredients are: Salicylic Acid (BHA), Hyaluronic Acid, and Ceramides. The salicylic acid is not only an effective exfoliator, but it reaches deeper into the skin, clearing acne causing bacteria.
2. Consider cleansing in the morning as well, but try just using cold water as an option instead. This may help with a reduction in oil, as the natural good oil is not being stripped away twice per day.
3. At night, use a PM moisturizer, this will generally have retinols, vitamins and acids that should not be exposed to the sun during the day. CerAve PM Face Moisturizer for Nighttime Use is great.
4. During the day, use a moisturizer with at least SPF 30 (broad spectrum to cover UVA and UVB rays). If you have issues with acne, red-spots, uneven skin, etc., consider using a CC Cream. CC Creams are tinted moisturizers with SPF that can even your skin tone.
5. Exfoliate every other day. Exfoliating is extremely important, but there are a lot of ways to mess it up. There is an article here on exfoliating that goes into detail about how to do it properly, there is just too much there to put into this one post.
6. Be consistent with this routine, and it should work well. I have had issues with acne and combination skin since 13 (I'm 27 now) and have been following this schedule for the last few months with fantastic results.

a. Yes, the above routine will work for anti-aging. You can give eye serums a shot, but make sure to dot/blot it under your eyes. Smearing it from side to side can cause wrinkles. Honestly, moisturizers should suffice for you though. The nice thing about CC Cream is that it can also go under your eyes and help to hide dark circles.

b. Toner is not necessarily needed anymore, quality cleansers should bring your skin to the proper PH level before moisturizing. If simple is what you are going for, cut it out of the routine.

c. Face masks aren't really necessary, especially if you are using a cleanser with salicylic acid and exfoliating properly. Plus, they make your routine that much more complicated. I would pass.

d. Facial brushes are covered in that article above, but only use them as an option to exfoliate. On non-exfoliating days, your fingers will suffice to cleanse.

e. Honestly not sure about argan oil, so I can't give an educated answer.

f. No, that should cover it.

2. Exfoliating can increase the rate at which your tan deteriorates, but it is probably negligible. The benefits of exfoliating will far outweigh those of having a tan, but technically you can still have a tan and exfoliate.

3. SPF 30 Broad Spectrum minimum for daily use. If you are going to the beach, you will need a proper sunscreen beyond your daily wear facial moisturizer.

4. Try just cleansing at night and using cold water in the morning. I think you will be surprised at the benefits.

Hope this helps!

kdarylle

Reaction score
I just wash my face then apply a moisturizer with hyaluronic acid to keep my face hydrated.

yvette38

Reaction score
I try to take good care of my skin all the time and I knew I had to take good care of my skin from a young age (Thanks mom!). I do try to take good care of my skin on day to day basis and I use natural products to take good care of my skin because natural is safe and effective. However, I've recently come across a total game-changer - Japanese Wash Cloth, and I doubt my skin has been this soft since I was a baby. I've read an interesting article here and I've decided to try it out. I'm sure that this amazing product is set to become one of the most sought-after best-sellers in no time.

ACluelessGent

Reaction score
Keep things simple. Sunscreen in the morning, sunscreen in the afternoon, an acidic facial wash and prescription tretinoin at night. Also find a dermatologist/plastic surgeon :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads