1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Men and boots. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by modernaRRL, Apr 4, 2009.

1. modernaRRL

modernaRRL Member

2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Ah.... I wouldn't wear those unless I had a platted goatie, rode a Hog and made meth in my bath tub... Terminator 2 anyone??

I think the majority of members here will steer you towards more "shoe-like" boots; ankle boots are a favourite. You might check out the thread on RM Williams boots - they are considered by many members to be a popular, stylish boot.

3. Nexus6

Nexus6 Senior member

Boots Rule!

It just so happens that I am wearing my old Kodiaks
    that I recently custom dyed.
    Pants fall just inside the tops naturally.

The link you posted
    Nice boots!

4. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

5. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Boots Rule!

It just so happens that I am wearing my old Kodiaks
    that I recently custom dyed.
    Pants fall just inside the tops naturally.

The link you posted
    Nice boots!

When I was in high-school, this was part of the "stoner" uniform, along with jeans and plaid shirts ("lumberjack jackets"; "Kenora dinner jackets")

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I stand corrected

chuckle- no... you were right.

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I like and wear both ankle and high boots; however, I don't like the boots in the link.

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I have no problem with boots, but those are just goofy. Those buckles serve no purpose other than decoration.

9. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

I have no problem with boots, but those are just goofy. Those buckles serve no purpose other than decoration.

I agree they're goofy... but those buckles look far more functional than sham buttons on a suit.

10. Eagle

Eagle Senior member

I wear boots on a fairly frequent basis...western, Chelsea, dress lace-ups, even two pair of (heavy duty) Wescos that I wore riding the bike...but, as others have observed, I wouldn't wear those. They seem a bit too much like a costume! [​IMG]

11. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

I wear black leather ankle boots. Buying them was probably the best recent purchase I made as we had quite a lot of snow this winter. I don't tuck my jeans into them. I like them because they're not too heavy and look very simple and casual. If you were to see me where them you might think for a moment that I was wearing dress shoes.

12. LostAbbott

LostAbbott Member

boots are great. I do think those ones you posted are terrible though. Also when looking for men's boots I would always stay away from zippers(I know those ones don't have then) I just think Zippers belong on womens boots and should stay there. I tend to find elastic pretty bad as well...

13. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

boots are great. I do think those ones you posted are terrible though. Also when looking for men's boots I would always stay away from zippers(I know those ones don't have then) I just think Zippers belong on womens boots and should stay there. I tend to find elastic pretty bad as well...

+1, add lacing to the mix. Oh and anything that's a slip is for fairies only.

14. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Those boots remind me of motocross boots. I suppose they would be good for protecting your lower legs on hot days when full leathers or chaps are a no go. To be truly functional though you would have to lose the leather soles. They're just to slick on the street.

Now as far as boots go I wear them more than any other footwear. On any given day I might be wearing ropers, classic cowboy boots, 6 and 8 inch construction/hunting boots and occasionally knee high waterproof snake boots. Eventually I'll get a pair of dress boots from Alden and then I'll be ready for anything boot wise.

15. litho

litho Senior member

arn't they more for musicians / rockers than people lurking around a mens clothing style forum?

16. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I love a good pair of chelsea boots.

17. centrix

centrix Senior member

that looks like part of the edward scissorhands outfit, sorry

18. OCULUS

OCULUS Well-Known Member

Wow, As a motorcyclist, (07 BMW K 1200 GT) I have to say that there is a good deal of bias here that happens to be, well, let's say not well-founded. [​IMG] I have about 4 pairs of boots for riding, plus these I just bought.

http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?YOOX=TR...52_70_15_UW_70 . They are a more reserved version of the three buckles you showed, and they are in chestnut, which happens to be the color of one set of my motorcycle leathers. And those buckles and the clever Velcro strip behind them function perfectly to accommodate my slim ankles and meaty calves. Yoox described tham as "Combat" boots, despite the motorcycle description right on the box.

I have dedicated motorcycle boots (tall and ankle, and while all are reserved in outward design (no flames or conches) they are high-tech safety and comfort inside).

For street wear, I have a couple pairs of old, Danners and Orvis/Russell Moccasin field boots, plus rather reserved cowboy boots, a wonderful pair of Maison Martin Mageila jodphur boots (with straps) that are tres Hermes,
    http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?sec=1&Y...=sr_shoesmen80

and most recently, a pair of Trickers ankle boots in bright tan scotch grain with a sneaker-style toe (very interesting crossover design that cuts the formality of a boot). http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/TRICKE...P/sts/sr_men80 Much thanks goes to Yoox for these Trickers and MMM.

All this in spite of a very high instep, so I have to be really careful choosing styles that fit and breaking them in--once I get them on! I am fortunate to have have found the Trickers 5 last and the MMMs fit like fine glove.

19. fuji

fuji Senior member

I bought a pair of black chelsea boots last week and they are slowly becoming one of my favourite pairs of shoes.

20. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I bought a pair of black chelsea boots last week and they are slowly becoming one of my favourite pairs of shoes.

I can say the same about my pair, fuji.