Men’s Wearhouse Pursues Possible Purchase of Allen Edmonds

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chogall, Oct 22, 2013.

1. chogall

chogall Senior member

Men's Wearhouse is pursuing a possible purchase of dress-shoe retailer Allen Edmonds, according to people familiar with the matter. Such a move could complicate Jos. A. Bank Clothiers's unsolicited bid for Men's Wearhouse.
    It is unclear who else, if anyone, may be bidding for closely held Allen Edmonds, which could fetch a price in the low hundreds of millions of dollars. A deal for the company, with Men's Wearhouse or someone else, could be reached next month.
    This month, Jos. A. Bank offered $48 a share in cash for Men's Wearhouse, but Men's Wearhouse has rejected that bid in part based on the price.

2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

In Soviet Russia, Jos A Bank does not buy Mens Wearhouse; MEN'S WEARHOUSE BUYS ALLEN EDMONDS!

4. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

5. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I know that there's a more serious aspect to this, but I must confess to finding the thought that all those AE seconds enthusiasts could now be buying Men's Warehouse seconds quite amusing... (sorry...!)

6. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

E is already starting to flirt with completely eliminating what "made in america" value that they currently have. I would assume that ME or JAB, would completely destory what is left of that company. The shoes can be a bit fugly, but there's not much else at that pricepoint that has some level of quality, especially with sales.

7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I used to own a few pairs of AE's. Now my only pairs are some Aztec slippers and some driving shoes. I grew tired of the stiff soles (non oak bark tanned) and leather, and the blobby lasts

Honestly, I'd steer people towards Herring house line over AE.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...catid=156&oldcolid=3742&stype=0&colourid=3741

8. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Well, isn't MW trying to go more upscale, with Joseph Abboud on their team and all? Maybe an MW takeover of A-E would be quite so ruinous, after all.

However, the prospect does make me relieved to have just about all the A-Es I could possibly want or need for my comparatively few remaining years.

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

"Allen Edmonds, the seconds shall be first." - RJ Man.

Fits right in for JAB buy one get one free or MW el cheapo suits.

10. Willin

Willin Senior member

This is on page B1 of the wall street journal this morning. What a shame. I own two pairs of AE's and they'll be my last if MW acquires them.

11. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I won't go that far. If they maintain the quality and make them in america, I will continue to buy them. If they go the way of florsheim and Johnston&Murphy, I'm out.

12. AllenEdmondsCEO

AllenEdmondsCEO Active Member

Men -- I thought I'd join your thread. Below is a link to an article in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, it's has good and broader information for you, and the reporter quoted me accurately. We will indeed maintain -- even continue to improve toward the endless pursuit of perfection -- our quality.

Best wishes,
    Paul

http://www.jsonline.com/business/me...-for-allen-edmonds-b99126284z1-228843321.html

13. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Paul,
    I was hoping to see you post. Thanks for the info. If you maintain your quality and keep your factory in america, you can definitely keep your loyal following.

Not sure though, the synergies between companies. I can't see people who shop at MW buying $300+ shoes.

either way, be interesting to see how it plays out.

Good luck sir.

14. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

It might be a good thing. It may bring solidly constructed shoes further into the "limelight" and put more people in quality footwear.

15. chogall

chogall Senior member

[​IMG]