Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Memorial Service rules?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, May 5, 2006.

1. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

Are they the same as a funeral? I will be attending a memorial service in a few weeks. It's for someone who was 92 when she died (not that it really changes things), and the service is nearly a month after she died. My understanding is that it's not going to be a typical "mourning" event. Do you think the same dress rules apply? I have a black suit, but no black shoes, and no black ties (other than bow).

2. Max

Max Senior Member

Yes.

3. philosophe

philosophe Distinguished Member

Black is traditional, but any dark, more formal suit and tie would show respect.

4. PITAronin

PITAronin Senior Member

Always interested in expanding my sartorial horizons - out of curiosity, what color shoes have you been wearing with your black suit (taking you at your word that you don't have any black shoes).

5. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

I haven't been wearing it. I have other suits that I prefer, and wear a suit infrequently, so it sits in the closet. I did have a pair of black shoes, but they fell apart. Since then, I've contemplated black shoes a number of times, but haven't felt the need, or the desire, or had the extra cash.

6. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

If you don't need black shoes that often, I'd say you'd be best picking up some decently made shoes from a discount shoe store if you can find them. I got mine for $60.